Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok maybe I'm the only fisherman who did anything stupid this year fishing. I doubt it though. Below are my highlights. What are yours?

1) Tried to horse 3# smallie in boat at lake erie cost me 1st place. Happy with 2nd but still. Dragging tubes through rock and zebra mussels takes toll on line. Retie stupid. And use the net!

2) Aerator went out at east fork killing 4 of my 5 bass costing me 1st place and big bass. Happy with 3rd but still. Check the livewell more often stupid! Upside was nice fish dinner...

3) 2# smallie flopped off deck into water at brookville cost me 3rd. Keep a firm grip on that lip stupid!

4) Draw tournament at brookville, new partner talked me out of my plan to fish tubes on a certain rock bank that had been producing nicely. Probably cost us money but who knows. Stick with the plan stupid!

Anyone else care to share?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Dont lip 7lb + channels cats. Even yet dont try it three times after the first two had horrible results.

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
Dont lip 7lb + channels cats. Even yet dont try it three times after the first two had horrible results.
Oh come now that's half the fun of catching them,the "Battle Scars":D.

Let's see what stupid thing I've done so far this year.....(still thinking).........(still thinking).....oh I got one or two.

1. Didn't take my phone with me last week while out on a boat with some friends. Wife wasn't happy that I stayed out longer than I said I would and didn't call to tell her that but we all know how that one goes....;)
2.After hooking a huge Snapping Turtle about two weeks ago I was standing there trying to figure out if anyone else out there wanted it or not when it decided to make a run for it. Well needless to say that I should've just instantly freed it because it ended up snapping off my rod tip after it got pissed even more and tried to get away.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Left the big motor trimmed down almost dragged it up the ramp but realized just in time. Things like this happen to me when someone starts talking to me and I get chit chatting with them. I have a system I go by so I do not forget anything, when launching, loading, ect. So please if you ever see me at the lake and I'm doing one of these things, I'm not being a jerk or anything honestly. Enjoy talking fishing with anyone. Once I finish launching or reloading and tieing everything down you can have my total undivided attention. I'm so easily distracted that it is not funny, maybe I need a higher dose of adderall,lol.

·
FISH
349 Posts
I have way too many to count, but lets go with not losening my drag while flattie fishing..with a crappy Y stick..causing the pole to take of flying like a rocket ship into the river. Didn't intend to swim that night. Plus countless times forgetting equipment at home, and not realizing till I was on the water. My biggest was not checking flow rates before going to the river after what I thought was a lite rain. Guess it wasn't so lite because after I completed the 1.5 mile hike my spot was underwater..ahhh good times.

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
First: Went rafting down the LMR and lost track of time fishing. It got dark and we weren't even half way back. We missed our ramp and ended up in the Ohio River and had to row back upstream. Instead of being done at 8pm we got back to our car at 2am.

Second: I tried to showoff to Nitsud on here and do a "Bow & Arrow" cast. I pulled a lure back so my rod tip was a nice "U" shape under tension...I aimed the lure at my target...let go of the lure and WHAM! I sent the lure's treble hook barb-deep into my thumb. :eek:

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have way too many to count, but lets go with not losening my drag while flattie fishing..with a crappy Y stick..causing the pole to take of flying like a rocket ship into the river. Didn't intend to swim that night. Plus countless times forgetting equipment at home, and not realizing till I was on the water. My biggest was not checking flow rates before going to the river after what I thought was a lite rain. Guess it wasn't so lite because after I completed the 1.5 mile hike my spot was underwater..ahhh good times.
Did the same thing while carp fishing earlier this summer. I was busy getting another pole ready to cast out when the one in the rod holder took off like a ghost had just picked it up and launched it into the lake! Hahaha. I got it back but had to get waist deep into the lake to find it tangled up in submerged timber. Messed up my reel pretty bad but still got a 5 lb carp out of it. Won't do that again!

·
I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN
566 Posts
Those channels will tear ya up! My stupid moment would have to be using 6lb test at the river. I had been catching a bunch of fish that 6lb test was enough for in this hole until who knows how big of a striper hit and bye bye.

·
Semper Fi
303 Posts
1. Falling asleep while night fishing and having my line drug all around the lake and tangled up with other peoples lines.

2. Fishing off a pier in the Gulf of Mexico, dead line set out, forgot to loosen my drag, sitting there talking to a local and next thing I know my pole is completely horizontal on the railing. Only thing keeping it from going over was an eyelit that was caught on the rail.

I'm sure there are many, many more.

·
Señor Member
852 Posts
WAREHOUSE said:
Second: I tried to showoff to Nitsud on here and do a "Bow & Arrow" cast. I pulled a lure back so my rod tip was a nice "U" shape under tension...I aimed the lure at my target...let go of the lure and WHAM! I sent the lure's treble hook barb-deep into my thumb. :eek:
First: Agreeing to go on a float with WAREHOUSE :)

Just kidding, had a great time. How's the thumb? Those barbs apparently work pretty well!

As far as dumb moves, I think my worst is nearly losing a rod over a pier rail last time I went to Florida. Drag was set too tight. I didn't actually expect to catch anything... Also up for consideration for dumb move of the year is the guy who saved my rod. For some reason, rather than holding on to or dropping his rod on the pier, he threw it over the rail, into the water, never to be seen again. However, I think I win, cause his fail was in the heat of the moment, mine was a premeditated fail.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got more. This was from last summer. I was fishing the channel in the Ohio River out of Tanners creek in the middle of the night. Alone. Anchored down with two rods out. You guys see it coming already. But I didn't. I was monitoring the horizon for lights coming at me but the skyline (if you want to call it that...) of aurora masked the tiny little light on the front of the barge. I pulled in the anchor and my rods in short order and fortunately my old 2 cycle fired quickly for a change and I booked out of there. Stinkin barges are remarkably quiet... That was the last time night fishing on the big O.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My stupid thing was not getting out as much as I wanted to. I wll be kicking myself when the ground turns white, or ill drive to aberdeen

·
I'd Rather be fishing!
273 Posts
Had to think 'bout that ...been a pretty good year!
No major mistakes so far but 011 not over yet :eek:

got my feet wet a few times when not expected :(

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
got into a bunch of nice crappie below eastfork dam. and bing a nice guy letting a bunch of other come over and paylake me. killed the bite.( hey look the fat guy into the fish, lets run all the way up around the rail, all the way down the sidewalk; and went elbow to elbow) should of push,in in.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I was salmon fishing in a small river in Michigan a couple weeks ago, the river is full of fish and lined with people. When you hooked a good fish, you just had to go with it; if the fish wanted to go downstream, like it or not you’re taking a walk downstream. I hooked into a nice one that took me downstream, under the tree and kept going, I yelled “Fish on, coming down”! Everyone got out of my way; I reached my rod under the tree and pulled it out the other side and continued fighting. Instead of walking to an easier spot where I could step over the tree, I decided to climb/hop over the tree. Well, I didn’t make it all the way over the tree; I went in the river head first. I bounded out of the water, still fighting the fish and spewing a foul stream of obscenities; I was inventing words and word combinations. It so happened that on the other side of the tree was a family of Amish people; they looked at me like a herd of deer caught in my headlights. I ended up tangled with every single one of them and I lost the fish. The looks on their faces were priceless; it kind of blunted my anger a little. The non-Amish folk really enjoyed my graceful movements and let me know with their applause. They gave me a 9.8; if I’d have landed the fish they’d have given me a 10.
Despite my poetry in motion it was a great trip, we ended up with a lot of fish.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I bought a used bass boat this year (19 foot, 1999 Ranger R83), so my list has some length to it. I'm not sure if there is anything stupid I haven't done actually. I tried to keep this list in order :

1) Punched the throttle with the trolling motor down. Outcome: a solid soaking on a cold, rainy day in May.

3) Launched the boat with the transom tie downs attached. Caught it before I dunked the back end fortunately.

4) Blasted down the lake at 60 mph without the drain plug screwed in. I could not remember putting it in, so I ran back to the dock, got my truck, and pulled it out. Somehow, the plug popped into the drain hole and held, but was not screwed in. (started to realize used boats come with a guardian angel for a year or so)

5) Left my boat keys and trailer lock on the trailer tongue on the way to the lake. Drove back home after dropping a few swear words on myself at the boat ramp, and miraculously found the keys in the road on the way home... mostly destroyed by traffic.

6) Launched the boat and the engine would not start. Decided to go all electric and kicked away from the dock... and the trolling motor would not work either. I forgot to charge the three (bad) batteries. Paddled the boat back to the dock, realizing that bass boats are not meant to move that way. (I have three brand new batteries for the boat now... no more starting problems... like magic)

7) Broke the tip off my 7' 2-pc premier series st. croix spinning rod while freeing a snag. (I then found that I could buy the entire tip half of the rod from st. croix for $30... I love that company!)

8) Forgot to attach transom tie-downs. Realized it within a mile or so of the ramp fortunately. See... I think of everything eventually (once that angel kicks me in the side of the head)

9) Pulled a 180 with the truck and boat while going 55 mph on the way home from Dale Hollow Lake last weekend. Should have been taking it a bit easier on the wet roads. My wife and I nearly soiled ourselves, but we somehow managed to stay on the road, and did not hit another vehicle, guard rail, or rock hillside. (By now I'm pretty much convinced that there really is an angel on my shoulder).

While this list sounds pretty idiotic (and it is), I approached this year of boating as a learning year. I am a far better boat driver, trolling motor operator, and boat hauler than I was 5 months ago, and I have certainly learned from my mistakes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great stories guys. Sounds like I'm in good company. Had a good one yesterday to add to my list. Was fishing my clubs last bass tournament on the ohio river out of Arnolds Creek (Rising Sun Indiana). The river had a little driftwood since it was a few feet up with the rains. Not bad but you had to watch out for fields of debris. Well I was following a barge - 200 or 300 yards. Wasn't exactly drafting I was just trying to dodge driftwood. Well the wake was about 2ft rollers so it wasn't bad but then I saw 2 4 to 5 ft rollers coming right at me. I rode over the first one (mostly) and the nosed dipped to meet the 2nd one which came right over the bow. Soaked me and my partner and left me with about a foot of water in the bottom of the boat. Fortunately the 2 rogue waves were alone or else it could have ended badly. Good news is the new bilge pump works great. I really shouldn't have to remind myself to not tailgate barges...

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Went night fishing with the better half and her nephews earlier this summer; loaded the car, got minnows, unloaded, set up and realized we left the tackle box at home. With the fish biting like mad (for once!) and alot of them "dinks' about a dozen casts later everyone`s hook has been swallowed or lost to snags. The kids start whining and the 8 yr old (whom amazingly out fished us all AND caught a 13" crappie) actually starts to cry ! I resolutely decide "I`ll fix this" and walk up to a couple of guys fishing down the way and offer to buy any hooks they can spare. 6 hooks in hand and a buck lighter (I insisted) back I stroll, re rig all 4 poles and the slaughter continues, the fish hurtling themselves onto the minnows like Japanese Kamikaze planes with reckless abandon. Suddenly the youngest hooks something bigger, GOOD power run, and with the drag screaming DROPS the pole ! I dive on it before it goes in, loosen the drag slightly, and then apparently the fish finds a snag. GREAT. Can still feel the fish on, just can`t gain on it. Walk to the boat ramp, carefully get up on the 10" wide cement wall, carefully edge out 15`, trying to #1 keep from falling in #2 retrieve as much slack as possible #3 convince the better half I won`t drown #4 keep the kids uproar to down to acceptable (less than 120 decible) levels and #5 actually pull this fish in from a very wet hat...can you guess how this is going to end ? To summerize, yes the fish came free. Took off like the Space Shuttle going for high Earth orbit. I luckily had a death grip on the pole and snapped the line. Yes I fell in, but only to the top of my head. The better half INSISTED she go to Wal Mart, bought trash bags and a blanket, came back and INSISTED I strip (mostly) down and sit on plastic for the ride home in her 3 month old car, yelling how BAD I smelled. (Do you think should have just let the pole disappear over the wall ? ) God love her, she occasionally still SWEARS the car smells like CJ Brown Reservoir...

·
AKA: JetboatJohnny
836 Posts
A few Sundays ago I put the jetboat in on the Whitewater river with it being at its season lowest levels and decided to see how far up I could make it. IT was all fine and dandy until there was a huge log in one of the shallow shoots and I had to go around it. That lead to me picking a different line on the way down and doing some pretty good damage to the bottom of the boat including a quarter size hole. Luckily the river didn't have too many people on it and I had some plumbers epoxy puddy to patch the hole until I could get back to the ramp. Needless to say I am now looking for a good aluminum welder on the east side of Cincy to fix the damage I did so I can get back out for the great fall fishing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts