close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2008 Muzzleloader Season

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by Fishstix, Dec 30, 2008.

1. How has the last three days gone for you guys?

I went out Monday morning and didn't see a thing. My buddy didn't see a thing as well. There were three of us on 40 acres and the only deer that was seen was a small six pointer that laid down right at dawn. That tells me exactly what the rest of them were doing.

I am at a loss for what to do tomorrow. I am going to hunt a stand tomorrow that no one has hunted in all year. It is smack dab in the middle of a hillside covered in green briars. That is where I think they will be traveling through tomorrow morning to find their beds. Hopefully, I can cut them off before they get to where they are going.

Who's going out tomorrow?...well today that is.

2. Looks like today will be the best of the four days as far as the wind goes. Saw a couple Sat. but not in shooting range didn't bother Sun. due to high winds and saw nothing Monday. The guys I were hunting with have only seen a few also and no one has dropped one yet. Hope it's like the last day of gun had deer around all day! Have meat in the freezer but would like to get a crack at another one. Good Luck today.

3. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

This was my first year muzzleloader hunting and I had a good time even though I didn't tag a deer. There was just about no deer movement where I was hunting. Although, I guess I should have expected that since I was the only hunter with permission on about 800 acres of private land in Muskingum County. It was a little frustrating because I saw plenty of fresh sign, but only about 10 deer running away from me. It got so slow that I basically switched from muzzleloader hunting to scouting for a spot for a late-season bowhunting stand haha.

4. I was out every day, only saw two does,the combination of the weather and the heavy hunting pressure around here the past month has slowed the deer activity, I will be back out next week though the end of the season with crossbow,hoping to cross pathes with a decent buck.

5. I only made it out on Monday and saw plenty of deer but nothing that I wanted to shoot. I was basically just hunting for a nice shooter buck and as it turned out I saw no bucks at all. I saw 25 deer in all just not the right ones. I saw several mature deer tracks in the area so I think they had been around in the past couple of days since the thaw. At the end of the day I saw a group of 10 move across a cornfield heading in to my woods so there seems to still be plenty of deer there. They were the only ones on the day that seemed alarmed at all. I think there may have been a hunter on the other side of that ridge but I did not see him. The only other hunters I saw all day were two hunters sitting in a ladder stand together on the adjacent property.

I am not sure whether I will get any bowhunting in late season or not. I would like to but I always seem to get sidetracked.[​IMG]