2008 fish stories

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by 14shadow, Dec 16, 2008.

1. As this year comes to an end and most of us have hung up our rods for the winter I was interested to see if anyone had any good stories from this year that they want to share. I had a couple of things happen to me this year that i have never experienced...both happened on the GMR...

Fishing my favorite spot one Saturday I had a fish hit and (after a short fight) break my line. Exactly one week later, I caught a nice smallmouth in the same spot and found my hook from the week before in the corner of its mouth. The fish hit the same lure as the week before so I guess he didn't learn any lesson from it.

Another day I was wading when something absoultely blasted the shad rap I was fishing. I reeled it in and found that there was about a 10" smallmouth on the front treble hook and an identical fish on the back treble hook. I guess they both saw something they wanted.

Any other stories?

2. When I was fishing up at Lake St. Clair this June, my uncle missed a fish on a zoom brush hog, he lost the brush hog. He then put a new one on and pitched to the same spot, caught the fish and found his brush hog in the fishes mouth.

3. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

Too many to share. Covered some water with great new friends from OGF this past year, caught my first muskie, found some new holes. As far as stories with a touch of humor... this past weekend my buddy Gerry caught a mess of tangled line, attached to the line was a Gizz4 I had lost in that spot in August!

4. Wow, I have several stories as I think back over the season. For now, I'll just tell one. I was fishing at a popular local spot and I lost my only Rebel Craw and a Live Magic Shad without catching any fish. The next time I went there, I hooked into a fishing line and when I pulled it in, my Magic Shad was at the other end. On another cast, I retrieved a Rebel Craw. I also retrieved somebody's "secret" rig for live bait. I learned something from examining it. I still didn't catch any fish, but it felt like I had a successful outing.

5. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Lot's of good trips this year but the one I remember most... Promised a guy at work I would take he and his young son fishing after a soccer game they had in my area one weekend. Well they finished the soccer game and as they were headed over to my house the hurricane winds came blasting in. Lot's of wind but no rain so we went down to a spot on the river away from trees. With all the crap in the water, I did not think we had a chance of catching anything. In 2 hours we caught about 10 fish including a pike and 2 real nice largemouth. His kid had a blast!!!!!!! When we got home we found out a good portion of Ohio was without power which lasted for up to a week in some areas. I had lots of limb down and one tree split in half. Still can't believe we fished in that wind storm.

6. Me and a buddy of mine was fishing Ceasars Creek one night this year for Crappie. We had a summergable light in the water. A musky came up and struck at the light and hit the boat a little. My buddy saw it all because it happened right in front of him I caught it more out of the corner of my eye but it was still pretty cool. Needless to say didnt catch a single crappie in that spot .

7. Intimidator

Intimidator Banned

In late August A buddy of mine and I went out in his boat and found a wonderful spot at CJ and almost filled a basket with huge crappie, we were laughing and enjoying the day and planning a fish-fry the next day, as we headed back to the Marina the boat lunged and died, that's when we realized the basket was still in the water, fish chum was everywhere, had to get into the water to free the basket from the prop, we are still laughing.....

8. iteech

iteech Shebasser

My best moment while fishing this year was when I took my youngest grandson (11) fishing with me one Saturday--I have two, but this is the one that absolutely hates to go fishing (the other one, a little older, lives and breathes to hold a rod). I had already planned on going, when his mom (my daughter) asked me to take him for the day--she and hubby were headed out on a short trip. I had to drag him--he protested I was torturing him--but he finally stopped griping long enough to reluctantly accept a little light rod from me. I directed him to the other side of the pond, and told him to catch teeny 'gills for me that I could use for bait, so I could get one of those big bass in the pond. He even snarked about the worms, he did not like to touch them. Now believe it or not, he had 4-lb test line and a tiny hook with a bitsy piece of worm on it. Much to my shock, he starts hollering, "help me! Help me Nana!" Something huge was on that line! I run really slow--these old bones don't move--but I was shouting to him to release the bale so the fish could run, and thank goodness he understood that. By the time I reached him, every inch was spooled out--I knew it was a matter of seconds till it was snapped, but I just started giving him instructions. I never touched the rod and reel, but I was about to jump out of my skin. Hold the rod tip down, Georgie--atta boy--now start reeling slowly, and keep it tight, but not too tight--maybe we can wear him down...OK, let it out again, he's running--but don't let it go slack! Rod tip DOWN, Georgie! (Why do kids always want that tip pointing at the sky??) I don't know how long it took--maybe 15-16 minutes, coaching him slowly the whole way. He banked it! It was a very large cat (I was pretty sure that was what was on there, from it's swimming patterns). When we got it near the bank, I reached down and pulled him up by the gills. He was huge. Georgie's eyes nearly popped out. No scale, no tape--but I did get a pic of him with it, with my phone. I estimate it was 36-38", maybe 14-16 pounds. Suddenly he was doing a dance--running in circles, saying "I caught that! I caught that!!!!" He was so jubilant, I laughed to see it. He was calling perfect strangers over to see it. We put it back, and Georgie was so happy. On the way home, he said, "ya know Nana, maybe fishing isn't so bad. Maybe we need to go back tomorrow to make sure he didn't get hurt, and maybe fish some more...::p :p :p Best fishing moment of 2008, for me! :B

9. Not going to bog the thread down by quoting the whole thing, but that is a GREAT GREAT fish story. Put a kid on a nice fish and their whole outlook on it changes. I love that you didn't take the rod from him and coached him through it. You just put the passion in another future fisherman. NICE!

10. Intimidator

Intimidator Banned

Kid stories are the best, "true" emotion.
    I think every year the Parks Department has a kids "introduction to fishing" at John Bryan, took my son when he was 3, he's now 7 and has 2 Fish Ohio crappies and loves to fish.

11. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

Wow I've learned a great deal since fishing SW Ohio for the first year. I've been all over the map. Hopefully by the end of next year I'll have my fishing locations dialed in. My greatest story of the year wasn't the fish I caught, instead it involved the sights of some beautiful new age belly dancers who decided to preform at the bank of the LMR in Loveland. No one was around but me, waist deep in the water. It was just bizarre and awesome at the same time.

12. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

I'm going to need the exact location that this event took place. :)

13. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

Sorry, You know that I would never tell my honey hole. :)

14. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

08 was a great year of fishing for me. i fished the lmr alot more than ever before and really learned alot and had a great time catching some new species.i was able to spend alot of time with my 2 sons and land some pretty decent fish as well. pb cat for my 9 yr old, pb largemouth for my 6 yr old, and not to mention my pb cat. my most memorable moment of the year was when 9 yr old caugh his big cat, a 25 lb. shovelhead, he got the fish about 10feet from the bank and the water was so shallow the fish broke the line. he ran into the water and got the fish by the mouth and brought him in. we took some pictures and threw it back. what a great day among many others. hoping 09 will be even better.

15. About a week after my daughter's 2nd birthday we headed out to the dock to drown and few worms. She was having as much fun playing with the bait as she was fishing....or rather reeling in every time I casted out for her. I had taken my pole out as well be gave up trying to fish as to better let her enjoy herself. I had her zebco drag as loose as I thought she couldn handle and a nightcrawler baited on hoping to get a couple of bluegill for some fast action. After a few minutes she exclaims "where's my bobber...where's my bobber" I figured she had lost it in the glare until I heard the drag whizzing. She reeled for a solid two minutes before her arms tired and she asked for help. With some help from Dad we landed this nice hybrid.
    [​IMG]

She kept saying "big fish" as she patted it on the side.

16. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Pondfin - That is a great story and a great picture. Is she hooked?