close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2007 Buck of the Year: Hatchet Jack

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by ShakeDown, Feb 3, 2008.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

WKYC Outdoors and Team OGF present:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2007 Buck of the Year
    Hatchet Jack​

Ohio Game Fishing and WKYC outdoors are proud to announce the 2007 OGF Buck Of The Year contest winner.
    This years winner is Hatchet Jack.
    Congratulations on harvesting this beautiful Ohio buck!​

[​IMG]

2. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

Congratulations Jack. Very nice animal.

3. awesome ohio big buck!!! congratulation!!!

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

awesome buck,and great pic.congrats.

5. what a Great Buck,Congrats Hatchet Jack

6. Congratulations!! Awesome Buck!!

7. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

great buck... congrats!

8. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Hey now Hatchet Jack that is a fine deer!
    Congrats to you!!

9. BEAUTIFUL BIG BUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS ON TAKING HIM . YOU DESEREVE THE " AWARD " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pappysgtoo@aol.com

10. That is a great buck. How aboout some details. Gun or Muzzleloader, county, am or pm, weight, raw score.

11. First of all I would like to send out a big thanks for the votes and great comments. Congratulations to everyone in the contest for taking some really great bucks. I want to thank my son for talking me into entering my deer and my wife for allowing me to hunt. . . ALOT!!!
    About the hunt - I mainly hunt with compound bow, and I saw this buck one time during the rut chasing some does, but I never go the opportunity for a shot. I did not see him again until the 2nd weekend of gun season, Saturday Dec. 15. I was hunting by myself on private property, and had been sitting in a blind since about 1:00 PM. It was a great day to be in the woods. The snow was really coming down, and I watched several does chase eachother and jumping around. I was not sure if I was going to be able to get out of the property drive, due to the fact that I had to get my truck up a large hill, so I decided to get out of the blind at about 4:30 and head to the truck. I walked a narrow brushy lane that came out into a cut corn field, and approached the cornfield very slowly, because this was where I saw this buck before. As I came up to the edge of the cornfield I saw movement through the thick brush on the edge of the field about 25yds away. I could see it was a big deer, but until it lifted its head I did not know it was the one I had seen in bow season. Fortunately I saw him before he saw me, and I was able to raise my gun, aim, and fire. After I shot, the deer took off like I had never even touched him. I shot twice more !@ as he ran across the corn field, but missed both times. I stood there in disbelief, watching him run, wondering if I hit him or not. As he ran I noticed him getting lower and lower to the ground, and then he cartwheeled end-over-end in the snow about 80yds away.
    About the Deer - Harvested Saturday Dec. 15th, 2007, in Portage County (the same county that "The Hole in the Horn" buck was killed) with shotgun. He has 12 scorable points with three broken forks. The buck has a rough green score of 163+ and has a 19 1/2 inch inside spread. Last year I thought my unicorn buck would be hard for me to beat, but the good Lord blessed me again, and I am very thankful.

12. this is what happens if more people pass up small bucks

13. what a bruiser great buck congrats

14. That is a great Buck!! One anyone could be proud of!!Congrats!!

15. great buck congrats

16. For my Son

For my Son Fish to enjoy time with my boy.

Great buck and story. Thanks for sharing.

17. I keep telling myself maybe next year to harvest a great buck like that congrats to you.

18. Thats a BUCK of a lifetime, it what makes one keep getting out there, trying & trying.
    Great story & you deserve the award.;)

Nik

19. Congrats on the buck,good story ;)