Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a great deal on a boat I found on eBay. Only kicker is it is in Virginia. The 15hp motor is worth more than the whole set up!

LISTED IS A 2006 14 FT TRACKER BOAT THAT WAS PURCHASED NEW AS A BIRTHDAY GIFT FOR MY HUSBAND. IT HAS A 2006 15HP YAMAHA 2 STROKE MOTOR THAT IS LITERALLY ON ITS FIRST TANK OF BREAK IN GAS. THE BOAT AND MOTOR HAVE LITERALLY ONLY BEEN IN THE WATER 4 OR 5 TIMES. THE TRAILER IS IN GOOD CONDITION AND INCLUDED IN THE AUCTION. THIS BOAT IS READY TO GO AND IS PERFECT FOR FISHING OR HUNTING ,THE ORGINAL REASON I PURCHASED IT FOR MY HUSBAND WHO DECIDED HE NO LONGER HAS TIME FOR HUNTING. THE BOAT HAS A DRY STORAGE COMPARTMENT AND RUNNING LIGHTS ATTACHED.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-14ft-Track...530QQihZ003QQcategoryZ384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'd be VERY cautious about buying anything on Ebay anymore..........you never know what's a scam and what isn't anymore. If you look around, there are TONS of boats for sale on Ebay that aren't legit.........

Just a WARNING..........

·
Bassin' Buckeye
806 Posts
I've been using eBay a lot in the past couple years (buying and selling) and I have never had a problem. You just have to take into consideration people's feedbacks then go from there. Ask questions too.

Also, some food for thought is that Paypal is insured up to $2000 on each purchase for free.... and I'm pretty sure that you can up that insurance for a small fee. When I looked at this post the boat was at $2100, but who know's how the offers are going to go.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm not saying this deal isn't legit - if you read my post right, I just said be careful................

just like all the email scams going around, the same holds true for ebay. there are serious deals on ebay - but there are also some scammers too. When I had my boat for sale, I got contacted by someone that wanted to pay me like $5,000 MORE than I was selling my boat for - and wanted me to send the balance to him western union???? DUH - you think this was serious??? I don't.

There are honest people selling legit products on ebay - but you just have to be careful. I've bought a ton of stuff from there too...........

By the way, nice avatar - copy cat! HAHA!

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,435 Posts
Skarfer,

That scam had been around for years. Why even look at a deal like that? That is pure scam.
I sold by Champion on e-bay and have been using E-bay to sell and buy for years and NEVER had a problem. Yes you have to be careful, but selling it in your local paper is just as risky if you let it. Common sense in needed to buy or sell anything. If your serious all you have to do is go look at it or contact the person and make arrangements to see if before you pay- simple as that.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
What are you talking about - "why even look at a deal like that"?????? I never said anything about going along or FALLING for that - I just said someone tried to get me!

ALSO - I never said ANYTHING about DON'T buy on Ebay - I just said BE CAREFUL!

Sheesh.

This is a perfect example of just trying to help out and other people taking it the wrong way or chiming in with their .02$ and not having a clue.

·
Bassin' Buckeye
806 Posts
I'm not saying this deal isn't legit - if you read my post right, I just said be careful................

By the way, nice avatar - copy cat! HAHA!

I totally understood what you were talking about and its great that you're looking out for your fellow OGF members. I was just putting it out there that I have had extraordinary luck with eBay. So if you do it right (like you said) there are great deals to be had.

Haha... sorry about the avatar........ its just so hard not to have something Ohio State because I'm definitely obsessed with anything OSU. Go Bucks!

·
Registered
199 Posts

just like all the email scams going around, the same holds true for ebay. there are serious deals on ebay - but there are also some scammers too. When I had my boat for sale, I got contacted by someone that wanted to pay me like $5,000 MORE than I was selling my boat for - and wanted me to send the balance to him western union???? DUH - you think this was serious??? I don't.

HAHA!
Any and all corespondance goes straight to the FBI. They investigate these all too often. Theres' a task force set up in Boardman, OH. The best way to nab them is reply to thier email, wait for their reply then turn it in when you get the fake check along with the emails printed out. After I did that, One guy sent me a reply wanting to know where the money is. I told him:" I sent it to the FBI". Never heard from him again.

Be careful out there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.