Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot of reports about the fantastic 2003 walleye hatch. Reports are saying that these fish are 8-10 inches long right now. And that they will be about 14-15 inches next year. With the current size limit at 15", these fish might be taken too soon. This look like it might be a chance to improve things by raising the size limit just a tad bit.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I read on the sea grant site (I think) that it appears to be around average give or take but it was still early to say.

Scott

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I have read that the 2003 hatch, due to having so many (hmnmn?), will not make the 15" size limit in most cases... Anyone else?
I read that in the Cleveland Plain Dealer and yes I know we can't believe everything we read LOL

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read last night that the 2004 hatch was a total bust. The claim was that the 2003 hatch ate most of them.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I'm not a huge proponant of keeping small fish (as long as they are legal size others can do as they wish) but if anything, this '03 year class will need to be thinned out some. There are incredible numbers of 8-10" 'eyes everywhere. I wouldn't be suprised if the yearlings did put a dent in the '04 hatch because of their sheer numbers, but 2 large hatches back to back (acccording to the experts) might be more than the fishery can sustain. Mother Nature has a way to balance things out over time.

I don't think The Sea Grant has completed the summer trawls as of yet to give any stats.

Tim

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Toolman,
I have fished Cowan for 30 years and I know what you are saying. The lakes do seem to take care of themselves over time. I posted on the topic because of reading some reaction to apparent general decline in the past 15 years. It just looked like a chance. I have only a dozen trips on that lake, so I don't really know it for the long run. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts