2002 135 Merc Optimax Prob

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by c. j. stone, Oct 1, 2007.

1. My engine, while pushing slowly thru some large waves at slower speed(less than 10 mph but around 2000 rpm) last weekend, started causing a shrill horn sound under the dash and seriously loosing power. I turned the engine off and the noise stopped. Re-started the engine and a few minutes later, the same thing starts again. I decided we had gone far enough so we dropped anchor and perched for a couple hours. (I have a 10 hp kicker so I wasn't concerned about getting back in).It did not do this again as we mushed thru the 3-5's, got back to the launch, and loaded up to leave. Anyone ever have this problem with a Merc 2-stroke?

2. That would be either the overheat alarm, or the low oil alarm.

Did you check to make sure the motor had a strong pee stream? Have you filled the oil reservoir lately?

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

definately a warning horn. mine has a gauge that tells me which warning it is. each has a separate type of beep. a bad connection will also cause the beep from the oil warning sensor. make sure the battery cables and wires are secure tight. my vro went out last week .

4. Yes, strong stream and reservoir is full. I called Pat at Pats Boats on Waterloo and he said I probably came out of the water on a roag wave. I said yeah, that happened quite a bit that day. He said when the prop looses water resistance, the engine will over rev and that engine has an instant over ride which causes an extreme decrease in power to keep from spinning the prop or exceeding the red line!? When you turn it off, it re-boots and is usually ok til the next time it comes out. I wasn't hammering the waves but it was easy to skip over one occasionally while heading into them. I hope that's all it was. I'll be out again in the next few days and will report what happens.

5. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i have a merc 150 with a 3 gallon oil tank which leads to the oil tank on top of the motor. last year while out trolling in 2 to 4's i got a beep, beep, beep, beep alarm from under my dash. i shutdown and drifted for about 10 minutes thinking i was overheating. fired back up and was still getting the alarm. i disconnected the alarm after pulling the cowling and seeing oil in the clear tube going to the gas line. i knew it was getting oil. i also saw a good cooling stream and knew i wasnt overheating. when i got home i pulled the 3 gallon tank and drained out all the oil, pulled the line from the tank to the motor and washed out everything with DAWN dishwashing soap. when i pulled the 3 gallon tank i found the bottom had about 1" of thick sludge. the pick up was being plugged with this sludge(theres a small plastic mesh screen at the bottom of the pick up) and the tank on the motor was starving for oil. the low oil float was just going low enough to set off the alarm. i have not had any oil alarm problems after that. not saying thats your problem, but it cant hurt to check that too. yes the alarm was hooked back up as soon as i fixed the problem. alarms are no good disconnected.

a beep, beep, beep, beep is an oil alarm and a steady beep is an overheat alarm on mercs. atleast on mine.

6. This is not the beep-beep alarm. Shrill/constant, irritating alarm. I just read the Merc. manual I got with the outfit when I bought it new and there is only casual mention of the oil alarm like it's really not that important!(oh yeah, I KNOW it is!) I think it could be the overheating alarm or the one Pat mentioned on the phone, but in any case, I think I'm going to get the impeller replaced. Any idea what that should cost?

7. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i paid less that $30.00 for the entire rebuild kit. i just havent installed it yet. i have no idea what a dealer will want to replace it, but i know they charge at least $80.00 an hour:eek:

8. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster