Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any remington 870, 20 ga, screw in chokes around. Got an 870 for the grandaughter for deer hunting and not sure whats in the gun. Probly need an improved cylinder or cylinder, lmk what ya have and are you willing to ship. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Unscrew your choke in the 20, the type it is should be printed on the side of it , my 12 ga chokes are printed on the sides , hard to read .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotta get a choke wrench, gun came as is.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a choke wrench coming, just wanted to get a head start finding chokes. Found a local gunsmith 10 miles away too ! I asked the sherriffs dept personel about anyone !! Good resources !

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
870 20g will do fine with anything less than FC. Most used in Express models have modified choke in them. I don’t know if they only came with one choke or maybe mod was one factory installed. In this neck of the woods most run Full Choke in 20s unless shooting slugs.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Waiting on a choke wrench, then we'll see whats in it, will probly use it for deer mostly, might get into a few squirrels and rabbits later. You say modified is cool with slugs, will be foster type slugs.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Yes Foster slugs are all I can vouch for. I D&Ted a 870 20g for a local. Gun was a FC barrel. He didnt want to cut his barrel so he picked up a express barrel with screw ins. Before we cut it off he wanted to see how it would shoot. It did 3” at 100yds. with Rem slugs. A couple years later I ended up cutting to 20” and putting sights on it. Still did 3” at 100yds, no better no worse. The real trick is to stumble on any shotgun that will shoot slugs right over the bead. They exist but are scarce.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, just need to check choke. Appreciate the reply, anyone have other screw in chokes, might as well get a set if she is gonna have the gun awhile, thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a fella putting a scope mount on it already. Didnt like the sideplate.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I hope he’s not putting on conventional base or bases on top of the receiver. There isn’t enough meat to do that. Recoil will pull base screws out like nails in very few shots. There is a Weaver base that mounts left of center with ring set that puts scope dead center and low.
47AEB11F-6D17-4012-A97E-C4AB90E20657.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts