Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FIL passed away years ago,,,,, & in his drawer were these 2 very old 5 shot revolvers.
NO NAME on them,,, just one had a serial number,,,, C38915.

I searched it out,, & up came a picture that matched, & the name REXIO. Made in Spain?

The timing is way out on both of them,,,, & the trigger return springs are bad for sure.

Are they fixable?
Are they worth the trouble?

THROW-A-WAY? or would somebody somewhere want them?

The Silver stubby has an owl on both grips.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The stubby is a Iver Johnson that someone sawed off part of the barrel to make it a snub nose and is the reason there is no front sight. The other is also a Iver Johnson. As far as value, with the timing being out $25 on the snub and $50-$75 on the long barrel.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Absolutely fair and true above...even the early late 1800's Ivery Johnsons in good condition only sell for around $125-$150. Hold onto them if they mean anything to you; otherwise I'd check with the police because deathfromabov may be correct and if you can get $35-$50 each in a buy back that may be your best option with these.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Absolutely fair and true above...even the early late 1800's Ivery Johnsons in good condition only sell for around $125-$150. Hold onto them if they mean anything to you; otherwise I'd check with the police because deathfromabov may be correct and if you can get $35-$50 each in a buy back that may be your best option with these.
As long as it’s CASH. Just can’t get excited about a gift card.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If your an eBay person you could part them out as well and sell it that way. Grips could get you $15-$20 each if not more. Gun buy backs aren’t a bad idea either. Someone on here might fix them and offer you something for them. If your in the CLE send my a PM and might trade you some ammo or something

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,477 Posts
Yep, not worth much. I have the same one on the right in your pic.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More feedback, A members reply;

" The one with the Owl's head grips is an Iver Johnson revolver. 38.
The "hammerless" one with a target on the grips is a H & R. Harrington Richardson pistol. 32.
These guns were very popular, cheap, decently made for the average person.
They don't command high prices in the collector's market, unless in very good condition.
Most of the ones that I have either owned, or looked at, are either loose, with worn parts, or the barrels very rough on the inside, from lack of proper cleaning & from using ammunition with very corrosive priming."

Thanks everyone,, for you feedback. will check out the pathways, mentioned above, & make a What to do, decision.

Cincinnati is onto a point, our department requires it to be functioning and gives gift cards for gas or grocery stores.

lol,,, Hec,,, I'm easy,,,, a case of WingDings & a 6pk of fancy beers would work for me,,,, but technically, they 'belong' to my Wife,,,, she will make the final decision. :<(

WHY doesn't anybody live near Y-Town! lmbo.,,,,,, Cle, Cle, Cle, CINCI,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Would 'I' be allowed to ship these through the mail? Assembled?
How about a complete, written & signed receipt? Would that be all that's needed?
or legally,,,,,, do I have to go through an FFL Dealer,,,,, even to give them away?
I don't know the fine print on pistols.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Grips on those worth more than gun. My Bro has buddy in Flavor Town ( used to be Columbus ) who he gathers up that kind of for. Joe turns them in on buy backs. Of course a lot of guys have them that have sentimental value and want them fixed. Numrich won’t give jack for them. I’ve got a cigar box full of them that are junkers. You can’t ship them in the mail and they have to go through a FFL. Transfer fee is usually more than they are worth.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
You do not need to sell via FFL it is a private party sale. OH requires you to be age 21 to purchase a handgun. You are free to sell in Ohio with no strings attached.

If I were selling I would require an ID and I have a NRA gun records book that contains sales receipts I would complete for my personal records. It contains the buyer's name, address and the firearm serial # and identifying info. That is not required by law, but that is just what I would do. Anybody unwilling to provide an ID with name and address I would not sell to (although that is a personal choice and certainly not a legal requirement in OH).

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Dm50 - why does a private party sale need to go through FFL? Is there something particular here? That is contrary to everything I have seen and read so I am curious on the FFL comment. I know I have personally bought several handguns from a private party without any FFL involved. Thank you in advance for your response.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
You have to go through a FFL unless it’s face to face sale to legal Ohio Resident. Individual can’t send handguns through mail. Individual has to use UPS or FedEx to ship handgun. Individual must ship handgun to buyers FFL. Then buyer must pay FFL transfer fee. If handgun is 50yrs old or older then it’s C&R legal which means it may be shipped to holder of Curio & Relic license holder. If made before 1899 then it’s not considered NFA weapon and you can ship in mail to whoever you want.

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,477 Posts
I just shipped a handgun to Charter Arms in CT for repair through UPS. Charter Arms told me to label it as "finished machine parts" They offer a pretty good deal on factory repairs. A $49 flat rate fee covers diagnosis, repair and return shipping + parts.

·
Pole in hand
234 Posts
Hey DoBoy!
I have one like the one on the right also, i pretty sure they are both ivers revolvers , due to the owl on the grips. the one i have is a .32cal.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I can’t see the trademark on the blue gun. I thought it looked like H&R logo but pic not greatest. Makes no dif as to the value. The only ones I have done any good with are 22s in nice condition.
2D9F25DB-1B28-4BE6-BE6D-4D65C4CDD0AB.jpeg

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
More feedback, A members reply;

" The one with the Owl's head grips is an Iver Johnson revolver. 38.
The "hammerless" one with a target on the grips is a H & R. Harrington Richardson pistol. 32.
These guns were very popular, cheap, decently made for the average person.
They don't command high prices in the collector's market, unless in very good condition.
Most of the ones that I have either owned, or looked at, are either loose, with worn parts, or the barrels very rough on the inside, from lack of proper cleaning & from using ammunition with very corrosive priming."

Thanks everyone,, for you feedback. will check out the pathways, mentioned above, & make a What to do, decision.

lol,,, Hec,,, I'm easy,,,, a case of WingDings & a 6pk of fancy beers would work for me,,,, but technically, they 'belong' to my Wife,,,, she will make the final decision. :<(

WHY doesn't anybody live near Y-Town! lmbo.,,,,,, Cle, Cle, Cle, CINCI,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Would 'I' be allowed to ship these through the mail? Assembled?
How about a complete, written & signed receipt? Would that be all that's needed?
or legally,,,,,, do I have to go through an FFL Dealer,,,,, even to give them away?
I don't know the fine print on pistols.
I live in Alliance Lol

Reactions: Doboy
1 - 20 of 26 Posts