Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

2 topics for the more experienced fishermen out there. What should I look for in waders? What are the most important features? Are the ones with built in boots better than the ones that you have to buy boots for? Are there any that can be worn in both the warmer weather and colder weather?

As for fly tying, is a rotary vice necessary? Any brand recommendations for a mid or low priced one? I was thinking about the Peak Rotary at Cabelas for 149.

Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
For waders I prefer breathable stocking foot type as opposed to neoprene. They can be worn in warm weather and for cold weather you layer fleece or under armor type stuff for warmth, no cotton. With waders you get what you pay for, some people go the route of buying cheaper and replacing them more often and some people spend more and get something that will last for a bit and has a good warranty. I've done both and prefer my Simms.

I've been tying for 2 years now and use a cheap $50 vice and that works fine for me. Could it be better? Sure, but I wanted to make sure I was going to enjoy tying. I think I'm finally at the point where I can see the benefit of having a better vice so I may upgrade this winter. I have no experience with true rotary vices but from what I understand Peak makes a nice vice.

·
El Fly Guy
1,846 Posts
For waders, I use breathable waders year-round. I don't like the ones with built-in boots - the fit isn't as comfortable. My brand of choice? Cabelas. Cabelas dry-plus and Cabelas ultralight wading boots. I'm on my third year with them, no leaks, knock on wood - and they didn't break the bank.

A rotary vice is not necessary, for most flies, but will come in handy if you get into some more complex ties. I don't use a rotary and haven't hit any walls... I use an el-cheapo knock off of a regal vice and it's doing very well for me. I think I paid $50 on ebay. That being said, I have tied on a Peak rotary (I believe I was at the Orvis store), and it was very nice. You won't be disappointed. The reviews on Peak and Renzetti vices are all very good.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have boot foot waders and I will likely be shopping to replace them with stocking foot and wading boots as soon as I can find the budget.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I definitely recommend the stocking foot breathable waders, I use the bps osprey and am happy with them.

As for fly tying, I use a super cheap $20 vise that also came with the basic tools. I can tie all of the basics and some more detailed stuff as well. I need an upgrade though

·
El Fly Guy
1,846 Posts
OK, [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARK-III-FLYTYING-VISE-Patented-True-360-Continuous-Rotation-6-0-to-24-Hooks-/151011342124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2328fa372c"]HERE[/ame] is the vise I use. I like the way it clamps onto the hook. Squeeze. Insert hook. Release.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I bought a Regal when they first were introduced---tied everything from a #28 midge pupae to a 4/0 tarpon fly--- No adjustments, no breaking hooks or slipping.

I bought a dyna-king barracuda and sold it the next week and went back to the Regal.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have tied on many vises and I will always reach for my Renzetti's.

The thing is everyone has its favorite and you will soon have to find what you like best for yourself within your budget.

As for waders stocking foot breathables(for wading), I had some really bad ones and some good ones and again find one with a good warranty cause you gonna need it. If I were purchase a new waders when my Simms fail then its LLBeans hands down.

When water temp's gets in the lower 40's I will wear my 357 Neoprene waders in my kayak. I keep fishing til hell freezes over which is fun time to fish when everybody watching stupid ball games.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice....I ended up getting a set of Orvis waders with stocking feet. They were the only ones I could find that fit my rather small feet and my rather wide middle section. A pair of Cabelas wading boots rounded out my purchases for the day. Fly tying will have to wait for winter.....Now....where to go wading this evening.....

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm a little late here, but I will go wader-free whenever humanly possible. Like yakphisher said, I like neoprenes in the kayak when it's cold, but if it's even close to warm enough to wet wade, I wet wade. I have never seen the point in wearing waders for the sake of wearing waders in the summer when it's 80+ degrees out and shorts are more practical. When I wet wade like that, I wear neoprene thin wading socks and my wading boots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts