close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2 teens rescued from island on Stillwater

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by WishinIwasFishin, Jul 14, 2008.

1. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

2. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

I wish it would just stop raining for awhile so we could fish without worrying about high water in our rivers.

3. imalt

imalt Banned

that is what has kept me getting a kayak so far. bass pro has otters on sale for 200.00 i might have to invest. anybody have one

4. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

I try to keep my cellphone in a ziploc, i assume everything will get when canoeing.

I bet we are headed for a dry spell and some clear water.

5. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

I SECOND THAT!!

6. I own a 9'6" kayak. I love it but would never dream of taking it on a river after it has rained. I try to look when ever possible to see if water looks high in small creeks and streams before I go fishing.

7. casio waterproof cell phone has been nothing but awesome to me.
    g'zone from verizon is the phone type it takes water like a champ

8. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

17 and 19, had parental permission, and almost drowned on the Stillwater.

Anyone else see any irony in this story?

9. Im sure they were from the Dayton area, seems the norm for a lot of folks in these parts Fishman... Lets face it, more stupid people are breeding then smart ones and before long..... A city like Dayton is born..;) No one get offended here, Im Born and raised here in D town, 42 years and feel I have run into enough of the hilljacks here to make this kind of observation. Nothing amazes me anymore after seeing the boating idiots here on the GMR.
    BTW, glad they are safe and hopefully will have learned a good lesson the hard way and we all know those are the lessons you tend to not forget.

Salmonid

10. I do too, but I've had a bad experience with ziploc's - I keep a Pelican drybox in my vest - and have had good success with it completely submerged.

11. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

I used to double bag my phone with ziploks. Never a problem. But now I have a drypak cell phone holder that keeps my phone dry and I can talk through it. My next phone will be a dry phone though. My wife insists since I jumped in Indian lake a week ago with it in my pocket to change a prop.

By the way, I checked the Stillwater yesterday in the area where the two were stranded. It is a little high, but not bad. My friends and I didn't see the great risk and how they got stranded. Who knows.
    It is still not very fishable though.

12. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

no. how is this story ironic?

glad to hear the folks were alright.

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

At the age of 19, I didn't need parental permission to do anything. Heck, even at 17 I only needed to tell my parents what I was planning on doing, unless it was something completely rediculous I was usually in the clear. More than likely these 2 guy's have extra chromosomes which clouded their vision when trying to make the decision; "should we brave the raging stillwater?"

The river is called the Stillwater, implying it's still, calm, and safe. YES, I realise that's not always the case. But I found that pretty funny.

I have a feeling if someone drowned on a river called "stillwater" they would likeley be a candidate for a Darwin award.

14. thanks for knowing what irony is, fishman. i hate it when people think irony is just a coincidence...

15. imalt-
    the nice thing about the rivers around here is that almost any kayak would work (unless its really long). so if you're looking to float the little miami, etc., the otter would work (as long as you're 200 pounds or less.) BUT, if you can afford it, you might consider an 11-12 foot kayak instead. i've been fishing out of a 10' for a few years around here and in michigan, and it works fine. but i'll be buying an 12 foot yak next year because it'll work good on the miami and whitewater but also glide much better on lakes or slack water in some of the rivers i fish (especially into a head wind). just something to think about if you'd also like fishing some slack water.