2-Stroke Winterizing question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by normd, Sep 27, 2008.

1. I have a 2006 2-stroke 50hsp mercury outboard. New boat owner, new to winterizing. I was at a local West Marine today and think I was sold something I dont need. It's a 5 gal jug with a hose on it, you fill it with antifreeze and to run through your lower unit of the motor. All the posts and links about winterzing on this site talk nothing about doing this. So do i need it our not? The link is below is what they sold me:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/45454/10001/8200/0/0

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you're right.you don't need it for an outboard.

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

take it back for a refund, use the cash for some fogging oil, lower unit lube and fuel stabalizer. remember to store your motor in the down position so all water will drain out and not freeze inside your lower unit.

4. Thanks! I appreciate the help.

5. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Norm, if you haven't already, buy a service manual.
    It will explain everything.

6. I agree you probably shouldn't need that flush setup from west marine, my only thought though is that it possibly has a water displacing ability, which as you run it through your engine any residual cooling water is removed to avoid freezing. That said, I've never done that with any of my 2strokes over the many years of owning them.

Read your owner's manual as some have suggested, but a basic set of advice would be to clean the engine thoroughly, flush it out and then run/rev for a few secs off the hose to blow out what water you can, while spraying fogging oil into the air intake (you'll hear the engine bog a bit). Fill the gas tank to full and use sta-bil or your stabilizer of choice. This prevents airspace where condensation/corrosion can occur. For long storage I prefer to pour a small amount (we're talking an ounce or less) of 2 stroke oil down the spark plug holes into the cylinders, and turn the engine over a couple times (with plug wires grounded) with spark plugs OUT (rags/fingers over the holes) to coat the cylinders with oil...which is thicker than fogging oil. Just be careful you don't overdo the oil in the cylinder, don't want to encounter a 'hydrolock' situation down the road with teh plugs in. Spray all metal surfaces with corrosion protectant, lube all lubrication points per manual, and a coat of wax on the engine cover etc will keep it looking nice if it does now. Hope this helps!