Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning out the garage and found about a dozen cans of 2 stroke oil that are at least 20-30 years old... some for mowers, some for chainsaws, some for motorcycles and some just general use ... it's oil, been sitting in the ground for millions of years before it was refined, would it still be usable? or does it separate out and not able to mix it back up? I'm thinking oil is oil more or less, 50:1 is 50:1, are the oils listed for chainsaws, motorcycles, etc. blended in some way specific to that equipment?

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I believe it's still good if no water got to it, open one up and see. Like boutyhunter said, use it in something so as not to was it.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,134 Posts
FWIW,,, (what Diesel said,,,, but I'd use that old stuff in the PUSH MOWER! ;>)
That 'OLD OIL' just might not be compatible with the newer compositions of rubber hoses & seals.????
Who knows, for sure.

What I was taught by a Shell refinery worker,,,,, (if I get it right)
Something like 90% of the 2 stroke oils that are out there, are made by the same refinery,,, the refinery will add specific additives for the different recipes of each company,,,, so it meets the needs of each specific application.. (like the 'use here' pictures on the back of the 2-stroke oil containers)

LIKE;
Watercraft needs additives for COLDER & more 'humid' operations. So use Specifically designed 'Marine oils'.

Whereas Chainsaws, offroad race bikes, & or high speed/ rpm motors need an extreme/ high temperature mixture with less breakdown at those temps. (Echo, Husky, Stihl,,, are all put together at that same refinery, & all would have those hi-temp additives added,,,, )

He said, that watercraft & chainsaws would require totally different additives.
And A 'fits-all' oil just might NOT produce longevity in both applications,,,, specially at the hi-low ends of the temp spectrum.?

ME,,, I'm cheap & don't care,,,, I've been using WALYWORLD fits-all 2 stroke oils FOR EVERYTHING,,,, forever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts