close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2 questions

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by tomb, Oct 5, 2007.

1. tomb

tomb Tom B.

How fast can you troll Grandma's and Believer's? I have no trouble with Jakes, Depthraider's, and Super Shad Raps, but can't get the others to run right. I've been doing best at 4.3-4.6 m.p.h.

Anyone tried one of the baits for sale at West Branch Bait and Tackle? I bought one of the deep divers in firetiger. It has a strange action. Instead of a side to side wobble, it darts rapidly up and down a short distance.

2. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

I am just learning the muskie thing myself, so I do not know much. I do know that the grandmas do not run good at a fast speed.

3. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Thanks for the response BigDaddy300. It's a shame not to be able to get them to run good. I have some in some good looking patterns. I just don't get any hits at slower speeds.

4. Have you tried tuning the lures?

5. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Yes. Is there more to tuning them than a typical crankbait? They run fine at 3.5 m.p.h. But not any faster.

6. BITE-ME

BITE-ME Muskie Addict

Even though Believers advertise that they are a high speed trolling lure, only about half of mine will work at speeds greater than 4mph - Even after extensive tunning. Sometime you just get a bumb lure.

Good luck trying to run the smaller Grandmas (assuming 6" Grandma jerkbait) at higher speeds. They are more of a casting lure. If you want a Grandma to troll, try the larger 8" to 10" models or the Grandma Classic crank bait (looks like a Lil Ernie).

7. tomb

tomb Tom B.

I do have a six inch Grandma, but have tried the 9" and 10" ones more. So, I just need to play around with the tuning more?

8. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

The 6 inch will run over 7mph when tuned right. I have had the 9 and 10 up to 5.3mph

9. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Thanks for all the responses on the Grandma's. I'll have to give them another shot.

Anyone have any comments on the hommade baits available at West Branch Tackle?

10. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

My fishing buddy and I love to troll with Grandmas, both the 8 and 10 inch models. Those were actually the only lure we could get hook ups on at Chautauqua a few weeks ago during a cold front. Are you trolling with flourocarbon trolling leaders? What pound test are you using?

By the way, at the Can/Am Musky Tournament, I had a chance to sit next to Jake Satonica, the founder of Grandma lures. He's a really nice guy who had some amazing stories to share.

11. tomb

tomb Tom B.

I'm using 69# stainless wire for leaders.

12. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Tried out the Grandma's today on Berlin. Ran fine, not sure what I was doing wrong with them last year. They just needed a little tuning to stay down. Unfortunately the Muskies didn't think as highly of their action as I did. They run very different than a Jake in spite of their similar appearance. Thanks all for your input.