Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two questions for u all...went to ashtabula today and caught a catfish out of the lake....it was damn near coal black....what kind of catfish wuz this?---a channel maybe? why u think it wuz so black? ive never seen one that dark b4. 2nd question...does smallmouth bass taste good? ive never tasted it b4. anyone have any recommendations for how to prepare it? some guy at work was raving about how he loves smallmouth bass. ive been catching quite a few of them this year and so wuz thinking of giving one a try to eat. thx guyz. good luck out there

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
it was a black fish...not even a dark blue...could this be a bullhead? im wondering about the rounded tail...i thought those were only on bullheads...

·
Registered
317 Posts
it was very likely a bullhead then. they can be black sometimes with a yellow belly. channels have a deep v tail. bullheads swallow your hook a lot, what did you catch him on?

·
Registered
317 Posts
bullhead bro. I hate those things with a burning passion. when im channel fishing with small chunks of shad they knaw on it for awhile and end up swallowing the hook. makes you think youre getting a hit, then they just sit there with it so your line wont move anymore. so youre sitting there with a bullhead the whole time. pisses me off, but i did accidentally catch a flathead on one once that way. broke my line at the edge of the canoe.

·
Banned
94 Posts
smallmouth and lg mouth are great to chow! really clean,white flakey meat. i like fryin em in peanut oil when coated with panko or bread crumbs. also good when grilled on foil in some garlic powder and butter. mmmmmm

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
it is a bull head and bass is not good to eat at all. Let all bass swim away

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've heard that if you soak the bass fillets in milk overnight, they will taste pretty good. I haven't tried it yet as I seldom pursue bass, more of a perch, crappie and walleye kind of a guy.

My buddy had some smallmout fillets that soaked overnight in milk and couldn't believe how good they were.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
I've heard that if you soak the bass fillets in milk overnight, they will taste pretty good. I haven't tried it yet as I seldom pursue bass, more of a perch, crappie and walleye kind of a guy.

My buddy had some smallmout fillets that soaked overnight in milk and couldn't believe how good they were.
My younger brother does them the same way as you do. He loves them.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Obviously, it all depends on the fishes diet on how they taste (also your own tastebuds). I think Erie walleyes taste A LOT better than Mosquito and Pymo's. The diet in Erie are good tasting forage, like smelt and perch, to name a few. Inland is manly shad. I agree with williamonica0214, I like catching 'em not eating 'em. My opinion. BTW, looks like a bullhead from Ashtabula's coal pit.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thx guys for all the info...hopefully i can get a large enough smallmouth to eat...never tried them before...i usually eat crappie and bluegills...this will be a first for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts