Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
July 14th. I left my house around 06:00, stopped off to pick up my minnow trap. It contained more than a dozen nice size creek chubs. Next I had to fill up the gas tank for the motor. I got my boat on Ohio River at 07:05. I headed straight down river to a spot that I was told held lots of shad. Threw my casting net, only got 2 shad for the effort!

07:45 I marked lots of fish so I anchored up. I had 3 dead line rods and one bobber rig spread around the back of the boat. 07:50 I had a hard Garr run, I felt it for a couple of seconds then nothing. When I got my line back it was cut, so I had to retie the hook! I thought it might mean some action for this trip.

08:40 I started to moved around the area to see if I could find hungry fish. I marked another big group of fish at 09:00, tried that spot. 09:05 I hooked into a channel cat, as I got it neat the boat I decided I wanted to use my dip net for I did not want to chance losing my 1st cat of the season! My net was old, and not in great shape. I got the net with the fish the net came free of the handle! I then tried to retrieve the net but it sank too fast. I then picked up my rod gave it a couple of turns when the fish got off the hook. The fishing gods slapped me in the face twice; needless to say I was very MAD!

10:10 I finally gave up and headed back up river. 10:30 I stopped after marking fish in a deep hole around 40 feet. No action there at all. 11:30 I was up river at a spot I normally had luck in the past. It was getting on the hot side by now. 11:50 I started putting my rods and gear away, for no bites. I called it a day and headed to the ramp around 12:00. I did get out and had 2 bites, better than last trip, but not what I had hoped for.

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,606 Posts
I'll be out tomorrow. Have a group of 4 (2 kids and 2 adults) hopefully the fish will be hungry for them. Will leave a report tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I have no report for tonight. Lots of little bait that we could see flipping around. Thought we might’ve had one good run but I don’t know if my daughter just had a snag and couldn’t tell or what. No catches whatsoever

1 - 4 of 4 Posts