close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2-6-05 Mad River browns

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Rooster, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Fished the Mad today between 10AM and 1PM. The river looked great. It was up and moving with just enough color for the bite to be ON! Used spinning gear and threw a black Roostertail all morning. Caught my first fish of 2005, and caught a total of 28 browns. I covered a lot of water today, and only caught a couple from each hole (it would have been easy to catch a lot more stockers at each hole). Most of the fish were under 8", but I did manage to luck into 5 that were over 12". I even got my personal best from the Mad today. Now, I know it doesn't look like much, but after catching dinks all day, a 16" brown looks like a MONSTER! I guess that I should have taken the fly rod today, they were biting so well that I might have actually caught one with the long rod.

[​IMG]

2. Darn work, wish I could have been there with you. Sounds like a blast of a day.

3. Yep, there were plenty of fish for two today! Next weekend maybe?

4. Where is this Mad river located?I fished Stonelick today for trout but had no luck.Good job on the browns.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Rooster, were you in your kayak?

6. The Mad River is near Urbana (pretty far north for the Southwest board, but it is the closest trout stream).

No kayak today, and I have never took the kayak to the Mad. If I could find someone to shuttle with, it would be a great way to fish this river. However, it would be difficult to fish without a shuttle partner. It is too shallow and fast to paddle upstream. Just wading upstream wore me out today!

7. Congrats on the good day Rooster. Enough action to keep you busy all day. I'm gonna hit Cleer Creek in Hocking County fo-r some browns here in next few weeks. The last and final stocking of 8-10 browns was this fall and this cold weather will keep them active for a few more months.
    I was going to go with a small rooster tail and then a small crappie jig tipped with wax worm floated under a bobber.

8. Awesome job on those trout! You have given me hope about the Mad again. I have fished that river too many times in the past and come up skunked. I need to unthink my trout knowledge from my youth in Michigan and take a few pointers from you.

9. Floater

Floater Floatin' on by

Congratulations on the trout! I'll have to give that river a try again some time. How far north were you fishing?

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

From what I understand the area between Urbana & Springfield is the best, but that sjuts what I've heard. Salmoniod fromt he site is president of the Mad River Trout Club, he may have more info for you.

11. H2O, yes I would say the best water is from Just south Of West Liberty down to Springfield, below rt 41 and the water is generally too warm and above West Liberty, the Mad is completely Posted and generally isnt stocked above that point.

Access is our major issue so as long as you park at the bridge, get in and float or wade, youll not generally have any problems, do NOT walk outside the levies in the fields!!! Remember, out of site,out of mind!

Salmonid
    President, Mad Men Chapter of Trout Unlimited
    www.tumadmen.org

12. OU fisherman check you PM

13. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Does anyone want any company fishing the mad? I normally fish with an ultralight as I dont have any fly gear right now. Im in Beavercreek and fish the part by a lake. Sorry I cant think of the name of the lake at the moment. Im sure H20 knows where Im talking about. Never caught a trout from that section but I've caught some nice smallies.

14. catlover

catlover Banned

Zfish-
    Are you talking about over by huffman park? Over off rt.4? I'd like to go, but with my health I need VERY easy access. I'm in Fairborn now. H2o-are you interested? If you guys want to get together give me a pm.
    Catz

15. Floater

Floater Floatin' on by

I'd love to hook up with someone to fish the Mad sometime on a weekend, just depends on my school schedule and stuff. I have a fly rod, but am not that experienced with it, but would be willing to fish either way.

16. Congrats on the fish Rooster :)

17. Hey Floater... Send me a PM sometime, Im right around the corner from you and Guide on the Mad, Im sure I can help you out up there with lots of good info.
    markblauvelt@hotmail.com

Salmonid

18. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Yeah I'd like to hook up sometime here soon. I may try to sneak out and go in the next day or two. I'll post results if I get out. :)

19. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

:) Nice to see a fish !!

20. Nice fish there Rooster! Also, I liked the way you lipped the brown in that pic...it shows you are a bass man at heart ;)

Steve