close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2/24/05 snow carping.

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by RiverRat, Feb 24, 2005.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Well i went out today since its my first day off, i was going no matter what the weather was like.
    Well got into a spot i like to call "duck blind" swim(you'll see why in the pics.). I arrived about 10am and fished until just about an hour ago. It was COLD and the wind picked up as soon as i got my lines in the wate..burrrr.
    Snowed on me prety good, but i was amazed with the sour weather and still HIGH freakin river that i saw 3 very nice big carp roll right in my swim. This swim is not the best spot, but with the high water i STILL have yet to fish my honey wintering hole. This spot is a back channel off of the river and gets lots of protection from current..but its only about 6-8 ft deep. I was atleast hope'in for ONE carp or buff..but those pesky buffs just keep bumping my baits around the whole time...a few times they had me crouched over the rods ready to strike when the would rapidly bounce my hanger. But it was not meant to be my day today...oh well theres always next time.
    I will have to say this is only my 2nd time out with my new Delkim Plus alarms and these things are AWSOME. Bites i know that would never register on my roller wheel alarms, got picked up easily with the Delkims. I had them set on the most sensitive setting and could not believe how they picked up the bumps of those buffs...but the wind never set them off even with gusts here and there and hangers swinging.

Well when my hands got so cold i couldnt feel them anymore(even with 2 pair of gloves on) i knew it was time to call it a day...well i did get a few pics. to remember the snow day carpin anyway.

Duck blind swim:To the right of the blind is the main river, to the left is the back channel.
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4460&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Notice the current line out there.
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4461&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Scott

PS..if the "fish gods" are reading this, PLEASE bring the river down MORE so i can catch some carp already..GEEZ US!

2. Don't care if you caught anything or not it sure looks like somewhere I want to be soon... ;) :D

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Clyde, If ya make it down to Columbus, give me a shout....in the summer this area is just as gorgeous, but LOTS more flyin blood suckers..buzzzzzzzzzz!!! lol.

Thats the reason i love to fish rivers and streams..very rarely will you see a boat and if you do they move on through and you wont see them again...i think ive seen a total of 6 boats pass me in 12 yrs+ fishing this stretch and ive fished it a LOT and the biggest reason, NO OTHER ANGLERS whats so ever!! Not like Lakes..my God, i go nuts when i fish Alum with Ak...im not used to all the people and noise. I think thats why i dont fish lakes as well as rivers...kind of hard to get to your "happy place"(from Happy Gilmore) with all the idiots around. Cant be "one" with the fish if you cant hear them rollin on the surface...come on down sometime i'd be glad to show ya.

Scott

4. If there is a place close by to camp I'll be down for sure... I love to camp to...

5. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

scott..why don't you ever offer anything like that to me?? :confused: i know i asked ya maany times.. and i know i took you to most of my spots.. thats ok doood.. i see how it is.. :rolleyes: :cool:
    oh well..i just got back in myself..nothing exciting happens today.. just me..fallin asleep on the bank in the snow.. :D

Attached Files:

6. hahahaa... I call that an Ak ATTAK

7. crappielooker

nope clyde.. its just a question between friends.. :)

8. ..show me the mone... I mean fishing spots...
    I know bro just J/K with ya...

9. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Ak, thats because i'd never get you to leave my spots once you saw them...LOL...HEHE(joke'in):p , I could see there would be a perminent shelter built down there and you'd catch all the carp in the river..hehehe;) . If i put the time, chum and MONEY into my area like you do Alum...i'd almost be affraid of the numbers of BIG carp i'd be catching.....but alas , some of us cant carp fish for a live'in...wink. Plus i'd need to start using my 17' canoe to boat in that amount of chum....you could not carry a 5 gal. bucket full that far back in there. One spot is 3/4 of a mile from the truck(winter hole), the other right at 1 mile hike(duck blind).

I'll get ya in there this year for sure, ya just better get in shape to walk long distances and buy a big backpack first..no joke:eek: .

But for the record, you've showed me your Alum spots, NOT any secret spots like these;) .

Scott

10. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

That spot looks familiar!

11. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

12. crappielooker

hey..thats ok..keep your secret spot .. i know who my fishin pals are.. not just when they want something.. you know what i mean my friend.. ;)

13. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I wouldn't worry too much about it Ak. You know where the big piggies are this year ;) I have a feeling it's going to be a fun December, if you get my drift :D

14. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

That one spot I showed you is only a 3 or 4 hundred yard walk and that is too far for you AK, I hate to imagine how far of a walk it is to Scott's place. I have a couple of promising spots just South of 270 that look pretty good but are very hard to get too. When I get time Ak you are more the welcome to help me scout them. Keep in mind you do need a 4x4 to get to them and once you are there it is a long way down to the water so travel lightly. I don't like hitting areas like this for the first time by myself, you never know what could happen, I have been there and looked around but I have not fished them yet.

15. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Ak, Sean speaks the truth, my spots are no secret to anyone willing to explore, but outside of the city the Scioto is not for everyone who enjoys the easy of parking close and bring all your gear. I have taken many to my spots and only half have wanted to come back...just ask Jack about the time i took him flathead hunting..we caught nice fish, but the area is not for everyone.....start jogging a few miles a day, then i'll take ya to all my spots for cats, carp and smallmouth bass....then you tell me..lol
    Its not that i wouldnt take you before, but i know the response i'd get half way back in when you ask..."are we there yet(heavy breathing)"

Scott

16. crappielooker

nevermind dood... the reason why i fish the place i do is i enjoy seeing variety of people, even if it means they bug me sometimes.. and if i would have to hike that far, do you think i would be bringing everything i normally do?? :) thats cool tho doood..