Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feb 27th. Joe took me to a private pond that he has access to fish. He got his line in the water at 1:15 p.m., I was trying out my wireless depth finder. For neither one of us had any idea of how deep or what structure of this pond. The water was muddy and a steady breeze was blowing all the time we were there. The water temp was around 60 degrees. Joe hooked a 10 inch L.M.Bass at 1:30 on a night crawler, so I thought this was going to be a busy day. Then nothing much happened, Joe did get a blue gill that he then try for bait.

. My Catfish bobber rig just got one light tap all day. Then around 2:45 the bluegills started hitting my small bobber set up. They were biting very softly just barely moving the bobber before going with it. That was why about half swallowed the hook. We called it a day around 4:30 all of the fish were caught on night crawler. I had a total of 16 bluegills and one white Crappie. It was a good way to spend a sunny day. I am looking forward to going back the when the weather is warmer.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Feb 27th. Joe took me to a private pond that he has access to fish. He got his line in the water at 1:15 p.m., I was trying out my wireless depth finder. For neither one of us had any idea of how deep or what structure of this pond. The water was muddy and a steady breeze was blowing all the time we were there. The water temp was around 60 degrees. Joe hooked a 10 inch L.M.Bass at 1:30 on a night crawler, so I thought this was going to be a busy day. Then nothing much happened, Joe did get a blue gill that he then try for bait.

. My Catfish bobber rig just got one light tap all day. Then around 2:45 the bluegills started hitting my small bobber set up. They were biting very softly just barely moving the bobber before going with it. That was why about half swallowed the hook. We called it a day around 4:30 all of the fish were caught on night crawler. I had a total of 16 bluegills and one white Crappie. It was a good way to spend a sunny day. I am looking forward to going back the when the weather is warmer.
What part of Southwest Ohio were you in on Feb. 27th where the water temp was 60 degrees?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What part of Southwest Ohio were you in on Feb. 27th where the water temp was 60 degrees?
I was at a small private pond on the West side of Cincinnati. the depth finder showed it to be only 10 ft at the deepest point we could cast too. It was at 1:30 on a warm afternoon so it just was the surface temp. I thought it was going to show cooler than that myself. that was the 1st time I used the wireless lucky fish finder that i got for Christmas. Norb

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Yeah those things are literly right on the surface. A boats ducer will be 1-4' down in the water am still considerd surface temp. Plus the darker muddy water on the surface taking in the sun an warming up.
I bet if you where to drop the ducer just 12/18" down the temp would of droppeda lot....

Now on the other hand. Id consider testing that ducer out nlcatfish. I dont think the air temps even hit 61° here in central ohio that day. Thats awfully high
But it would be easy to test. Just fill a 5 gallon bucket full of ice water an test with that.ora cooler. Anything really thatsbig enough. Its how we calibrated kitchen thermomenters except a bigger scale (we used a glass of ice water)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts