Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Eye Lander
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take a day off work and take the kids fishing this morning. I've never tried Conneaut for perch, so with a favorable wave forecast (2 foot or less) we set out in search of adventure. For the first time in her four years of life my daughter decided to sleep in this morning, so we didn't get to the lake until after 10. Picked up some shiners and headed to the ramp. The workers at the ramp were nice, if not a little eccentric, and provided some assistance and humor. As we were putting in there were guys coming off the lake already, which I took as a good sign. A couple different guys did take the time to warn me that the lake was pretty rough out there, saying 4's and larger, and they were looking very suspiciously at a guy with two small children. I figured they were exaggerating so off we went. Well, the waves were definitely more than 2', so we slowly picked our way out to about 60' of water, just on the north side of a relatively good sized perch pack straight out (about the 4N line or so...). Good marks on the fish finder so started fishing. Right away it was on. Best perch fishing I have encountered in my short time on the lake, but I'll be the first to admit that I've never been much of a perch fisherman. Had about 30 nice perch in the cooler in no time and was even getting doubles and triples. Not a lot of really big jumbos, but enough 12 inch and a few 13 inch fish to keep it interesting. A couple white perch and sheephead but not too many. Kids hung tough for a little while, then my 8 year old son got seasick, and my daughter quickly followed. Figured the great fishing did not outweigh what they were going through so I headed back in. Thanks to Carpetbagger for the Conneaut info that he provides. It's much appreciated. I've been planning one last walleye trip, but had so much fun that I may just perch fish the rest of the year... I can't believe I just said that :T

·
Registered
126 Posts
It was definitely NOT 2's kije the wave reports stated. Going to try again tomorrow. Had my two young nephews with me today and we got one fish before they started getting sick. I had to call it quits. Oh well

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yah,, really frustrating when reading/watching NOAA favorable weather/wave reports for days before actually going. Then driving an hour towing 2 plus tons of boat, launching and clearing the breakwall to find 3 to 4 ft close rollers capping from the gusting winds. :(
But as it always goes,,, you're there, you've put time, fuel and effort into getting there so ya might as well take a beating, go forth and give it a try......After getting soaked on the slow ride out to 72ft depth and then an hour of trolling over some decent marks with only one walleye and one nice perch to show for it, all the while attempting to keep balance and not go overboard, then,, due to near impossible boat control, have the port side dipsies become so entangled that the lines needed to be cut......that was all it took to get me off the lake.

Even NEO that reports the wave height on another thread reported 1ft waves earlier yesterday morning. Now I "want to" believe he's looking at the same body of water (Erie) whether it be the port of Geneva,'Bula or Conneaut, so where were the 1ft waves ? inside the breakwall ?:confused:

·
~~~~~~~~~
501 Posts
I live 1/2 block from the lake and can tell you with 100% certainty that the wave reports are only right 50% of the time ;)
Try choosing days with light south winds forecasted.
If you do get up and find big waves consider biting the bullet and keep the boat on the trailer. Just because you put all that time & money in to a trip up should not be a reason to take the chance.
I've lived on the lake my whole life and can't count the number of times guys have come up from down south and launched in big waves and gotten in trouble.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You can always call Snug Harbor for a Lake report, their number is 440-593-3755 and chose option 1. They keep an eye on the lake and are usually pretty accurate.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I live 1/2 block from the lake and can tell you with 100% certainty that the wave reports are only right 50% of the time ;)
Try choosing days with light south winds forecasted.
If you do get up and find big waves consider biting the bullet and keep the boat on the trailer. Just because you put all that time & money in to a trip up should not be a reason to take the chance.
I've lived on the lake my whole life and can't count the number of times guys have come up from down south and launched in big waves and gotten in trouble.
Bingo...just think of the money you save on gas motoring out and back in.. plus you live to fish another day...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts