Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 15th. Update: I picked up my brother at 08:00 and drove to our spot on the river for some catfishing. We got our four lines in water at 08:45, some current and river was slightly muddy. A friend of ours that also fishes there gave us about 18 fresh Gizzard Shad before he left for the day. I my first catfish of this year at 09:15 on a chunk of fresh shad he gave us. That Channel cat was 27 inches and weighed about 12 pounds with my shaky hands trying to read the scale.

10:15 had another hard bite on chunk of shad, since we were bank fishing I had to free the rod from the bungee cord. I had a circle hook raised the rod slowly and stared winding in the line. I felt the fish and realized it was a decent fish. I knew I needed a dip net, while I was waiting for my brother to get the dip net, I just keep slight pressure on the fish. When I decided to work the fish closer he got off! I never saw it; I just know it was not as big as the other catfish. Not sure if I should pull back with a circle hook when fishing from the bank or not

No more bites after that, finally called it a day at 12:00. I just cannot figure out why we did not get more bites with fresh Shad as bait.Well at least we will have some frozen shad to start with next time we wet a line.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You didn't get more bites than that because 1) its a bank spot and probably fished to death and 2) the way I read it someone was already there that day.Its not hard to find bank spots on rivers. But its hard for them to be stunningly productive every time out. Be glad you caught any,be glad you were able to find a fishable river in Ohio this weekend and try to find private and/or less easily accessible spots. You'll do worlds better for your time.

·
Registered
337 Posts
When fishing with circle hooks from the bank, if you are going to try a hook set, swing your rod nice and steady to the side. Don't go straight up with it or you won't get a very good hook set. When I say to the side, i mean nice steady motion with rod parallel with the ground. Or, get yourself a good rod holder of some sort, let the fish load up the rod and start reeling while its in the holder. I bank fished a ton with circles and was lucky enough to have connections with people to make me exactly what I wanted in a bank rod holder.

·
"I fish, therefore I am!"
56 Posts
I'd rethink the bending with pliers to get the offset. If you want a offset hook, buy one. I've seen too many broken hooks after offsetting them to ever want to do that again. The metal in many of todays hooks just won't stand the bending before breaking.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I guess I should've mentioned, I've only ever used the pliers on an offset hook to give it even more. I've never tried offsetting a circle that wasnt. Holy cow that's kinda confusing. Lol

Reactions: Saugeyefisher
1 - 9 of 9 Posts