close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1st berries of the year

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jeffmo, Jul 6, 2008.

1. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

picked our 1st bunch of blackberries of the year.looks like we're gonna have alot to make preserves with.

Attached Files:

2. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Cobbler sounds good, think I'll go get a bowl!! Enjoy!!

3. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

Yum! I like to spread them on a cookie sheet, freeze and bag 'em. What a treat on cereal, in pancakes or just eating them right out of the bag.

Buick

4. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

I love blackberries and have a TON of them around my farm,but is it possible to remove the seeds for cobbler?

5. Yeah, my wife simmers them in a little water & then pours the mash through strainers or cheesecloth then makes cobbler with it. It's good warm with ice cream.

6. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Ancient Member

Are those blackberries or black raspberries? Here in SW Ohio blackberries don't get ripe until August.

7. jeffmo

they're wild ones,very small compared to the ones i bought and planted a few years back.i have a few of those just beginning to turn ripe.the bought ones are very big compared to the wild ones.

8. stumpsitter

stumpsitter Regular Guy

How long does it take for the one's that you plant to start bearing?

9. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Nice haul! Havn't been able to get more than 1 or 2 a day out of the garden for the past 2 weeks! My old lady goes out there on a daily basis and picks and eats'em :D

10. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Nice job Jeff! I was down to the farm picking (more like eating) Black raspberries the other day. I still have some wine left over from last years batch;) . Heading back down to start collecting this years crop. Might try some jam and some cobbler along with the wine this year. :)

11. I picked three cherry tomatoes Friday, earliest I ever picked them. Of course my bigger tomatoes are only about ping pong size right now.

12. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

It's hard to tell from the pics, but I'd bet money those are black raspberries. Easiest way to tell is that black raspberries are hollow on the inside (like a cup) vs. blackberries are solid. As someone else mentioned, blackberries don't come on till around August. Either way, they're quite tasty!

13. The blueberries also came online this weekend. Nice, big, fat blueberries this year.

14. Just got back from Aep and picked about 20 qts of black raspberries. I saw tons of blackberries and only found 5 or so that were actually ripe. I would say you will be able to pick blackberries in about 7-10 days. FYI the going price for black raspberries at a local farm market was 8.99 a qt.

15. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

my woods is overtaken by berries... i have to roundup half of them each year

16. Our blackberries will not be coming for a few weeks yet either. We just picked a couple of quarts of black raspberries yesterday and they are about right at the peak of their production. It is a good season for raspberries and the blackberries appear to be coming great as well. We have tons of berries on our property and the only thing that limits how many we get is how ambitious we are.;)

My wife's pie last night was delicious!!:):)

17. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

you bet ya! i just picked a bunch and ate them on the spot:p my bushes are really fully of big berrys too. i think the trimming i did last fall really helped them out. trimmed suckers and old dead stuff out and this allowed air to get in. saw that on the victory garden on PBS. it really worked.;)

18. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

lol

Honestly though, just got a blueberry bush this year, never owned before. I actually have blueberries on mine right now, maybe 10 or so... but they've been green for a while. How long does it take for these suckers to riped up? Also, the plant doesn't seem to have grown any since I purchased it, any suggestions?

19. jeffmo

they very well could be black raspberries because they are cupped.but the only reason i figured them for wild blackberries is because the ones i planted are just beginning to ripen.
    these had to have started from bird droppings.i've had my place for over 20 years now and this is the 1st year for these.

20. kyjake

kyjake Still learning

Have been picking raspberries for over a week now,freezing several and having pies .Picked first blackberries today for a cobbler.Hope to get about 100 lb. froze for wine in the next two weeks.
    Jake