close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1st batch of chum...

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by atrkyhntr, Apr 5, 2005.

1. ... is just starting to boil...
    Field corn and a couple oz's of vanilla extract :D
    I am thinking of chumming the area you guys
    will be fishing next month during
    "TURKEY SEASON" :(
    if somene wants to point me the way ;)
    I'll start bringing the fish in for you...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Just boiled my first batch as well...getting ready for East Harbor. Just plain boiled maize for me. I'll be breaking out at least one, maybe two, new top secret :p method mixes as well...hope the fish are biting...and wouldn't mind some bigger fish this year.

3. I have two 5 gallon buckets of chum thats been stewing for about a week and one 2 gallon bucket that had been around for about 2 months. it will knock ya out if ya get too close to it. All my method mix is chillin in the fridge along with a few other surprises for the E.H. carp.

Jake

4. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

East Harbor:

2-5gal buckets of mixed particles (corn, tiger nuts, and hemp seed) and I plan on using a grinder ala Richie style
    4-half cup containers of sweetcorn flavored with various superior flavors
    3-half cup containers of chickpeas flavored with various superior flavors
    Some Boilies-strawberry cream red robin made with Boilie shop protein plus basemix
    2gal bucket of method mix

I think that covers it...
    Do I win?

5. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

NOPE.....LOL

one 4 gal bucket full of steam rolled corn...fresh.
    one 5 gal bucket of mixed steam rolled corn and range cubes...fermented.
    one 2.5 gal bucket full of steam rolled fermented corn.
    one 5 gal bucket full of my special method man mix.
    one 2.5 gal bucket of pellets.

OVER 50 assorted flavored corn & chick pea containers...hehehe

plus some special stuff im not going to mention..lol.

scott

6. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

dang.. you guys seems to got all the bait covered.. how long are you guys going to give those bait a chance to work??

7. I'll be coming with a couple different method mixes, a couple pva fillers, one 5 gallon bucket of maize and one 5 gallon bucket of boiled cracked corn...and all of that's for both Bambi and me. Ak actually makes a good point...I prefer to stick with a couple of things and give them a chance to work, particularly with my hookbaits. I've found often enough that as long as you have chum out there, you just have to wait until the fish start feeding...changing baits isn't really going to help that much. Besides...you can't really tell what's working if you always change things up. I will debut a new method mix, though, and I'm kind of curious to see how it works.

8. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I agree completely. I don't intend on using all the hoobaits, but I do plan on using all the chum :) I will certainly be there long enouch...

9. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

lol....i wont even try to explain it fully.
    I will have one rod with my confidence baits..the other will be an experiment rod..plus a 3rd rigged for long range fishing if there crashing out FAR again like last year at night.

Trust me i have a solid game plan.....the more baits i have the better chance i will find that "hot" bait and switch over both rods to it...got to have a plan other than trying to chum the heck out of a spot and HOPE it works!!!

Ive seen many chumming hard last year only to turn out a few fish, so i guess that method doesnt always pay off.....IMO

Scott

10. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Funny to hear guys talking a lot about "method" mixes this year...does that mean you guys are going to be using feeders....hmmmm...guess everyone will have a jar of tutti-frutti corn too....LOL..HEHEHEH!!

Scott

11. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I will have the corn and chickpeas, Scott:p As for the method, it is the same stuff I throw in my pva bags (it has to many small particles to hold to a feeder) and use for chumballs. I'm only bringing it in case the ground up particles don't work as expected (hopefully they will hold on the feeder).

12. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I saw ya asking on the CAG forum for the size of swivels for the Fox method feeders....its size#7 FOX brand...lol.

As for the particles, there are MANY ways to get even a heavy particle mix to stick to the feeder perfectly. I tend to keep my method mix simple, but very effective.

I very rarely fish without my feeders...only reason i wont is if the area is loaded with snags to bad to even use my throw away ones....or if the fish are just too easy and its a waste of time.

My 3 big fish have all come from the method..so i have full confidence in it. I just believe it brings the carp to your BAIT rather than just in the "area", i think sometimes they get to caught up in eating your chum and dont need to find the hookbait because of the amount of FREE baits around it. That is unless your fishing an area that is loaded with carp...but if its a limited number, then i only use the feeder and no other chum catapulted or spodded out.
    I think the real key is to concentate your chum on hard waters or limited numbers of carp...in other areas i just fill it in because theres such a big head of carp there..it starts a feeding frenzy and they start to compete for the food.

See ya there Tim, hope ya bank a lot tonight..good luck! Hope to hear a good report when i show up early friday morning.

Scott

13. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

LOL.....which brand of tutti-frutti ya got?(wink)

Does anyone remember the brand TF i did very well on at EH last year(16 fish total) including my 19 1/2 lb big fish....?....sure was it TF or something else??
    CW should remember cause i gave him my left over bait for him and Bambi to use...if i remember right he said he caught fish elsewhere on the same jar i gave him.

What about the TF brand that Jake and I slammed the carp at Cosi for the year end event...including 4 between 15-18 lbs.....or was it TF flavored??

In Tutti-Frutti theres the Superior...R & W...Boilie Shop...Supercast...Pescaviva...mainline...and many more ,geez so many choices..lol

Scott

14. I definitely remember the "tutti frutti" you gave us last year...and we did have luck on it in other places...though it didn't perform any better for me than scopex pescaviva. Probably won't have any this year as I have some other flavors i like better. By the way...I'm not too crazy about the pescaviva tutti frutti...too much banana smell for me.

As far as method feeders go...this will be the third year I've been using them, so it's nothing new for me. I still prefer pva for a lot of situations, but method feeders aren't as time consuming. Two years ago pva was the trick for me...and I did just as well as anyone else on both sizes and numbers of fish at East Harbor (two of the top three fish with tops going to my dad).

15. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

hmmmm....ive only seen one CAG member use them last year at EH and he was fishing just to my right. Guess i dont pay close attention like thought, but i dont see many use the method. Im not into the pva thing , too much hassel and the cost of the bags is too high for what they do. I'd go through 100's of them per month if i went that route.

Im not a big fan of Pescaviva myself, i do MUCH better on my own made corn baits.

Can wait for the heat, so the simple fishing can start..method bucket and a plain can of corn...ah th easy times!! Bring on the 90 degree weather already!

Scott

16. It's true, not many use the method...though packbaiting isn't really any different in my mind and I know a few that do that. I wasn't all that clear in what I said before...I only tinkered with the method and some bread crumb at East Harbor last year as that's one place I've done better with PVA (the pva settles better on top of the lilly pad debris), so you probably didn't see me using it...but I used it a lot more in other places, and have been using the method for a total of three years now...but not the past three years at East Harbor.

As far as PVA goes...I cast out with a confidence bait inside the pva into an area I have chummed with either whole or cracked corn...then I let it sit until I have a take. If the fish are really feeding...I do away with the pva and just fish my baits plain. So they last me quite a while. Nothing at all like the method where you actually chum your area by casting frequently to the same spot. And I've found pva doesn't work as well in the rivers...and particularly not if there's much current.

The biggest advantage I see with pva is the ability to fish predominantly with loose pellets or dry particles...or in cases where I need a softer landing like decaying weeds or deep silt/muck.