close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1999 - 2002 Chevy brakes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Phil Carver, May 5, 2005.

1. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I saw some thing on the news about a problem that I am currently haveing with my truck . I hope they do a recall so that I dont have to pay for this .

1.2M GM Pickups, SUVs Need Brake Check

POSTED: 10:56 am EDT May 3, 2005

WASHINGTON -- The government is investigating the antilock brakes on more than 1.2 million General Motors trucks and SUVs made between 1999 and 2002.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the vehicles include the GMC Sierra, GMC Tahoe, GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Yukon XL, GMC Yukon XL Denali, Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevrolet Silverado, Chevrolet Suburban, Cadillac Escalade and Cadillac EXT.

It said stopping distances may increase when the brakes are pumped at low speed because of the build up of corrosion.

The agency said the braking problem is related to nearly two dozen crashes, though none has resulted in deaths. One involved six vehicles and four injuries.

The agency said the U.S. cases "appear to be related to the defect condition addressed by GM's safety recall in Canada."

GM recalled about 150,000 pickups in eastern Canada in November of last year because of the condition in the antilock brakes.

The review covers 21 states: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin, West Virginia. It also covers the District of Columbia.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. wally72

wally72 wally72

I just had brakes put on my "99" chevy pickup and they had to replace all the rotors. I saw them and they did look bad, the guy at the shop told me they are using recycled metal in a lot of stuff now and it isn't worth a crap. He said they are seeing it really bad in a lot of smaller cars and trucks. I have not heard anything on a recall but will keep my ears open. Thanks for the post.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

My 98 blazer had original rotors that looked horrible. My warranty wasn't up yet and I raised holly h-e-double-hockeysticks with the service manager. I was told it was caused my road salt in the area. I said it sounds like a fault part and I was not going to pay a dime for crappy parts. Imagine my surprise when I got a bill for replacing 4 rotors for the price of $0.00. I am willing to bet that it was the same damned problem. Part of the reason I don't buy GM products anymore. Bad parts and BAD SERVICE.

4. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

The problem described above pertains to the ABS system.
    I know a couple guys who have experienced the same problem with Chevy trucks.
    They go to make a slow speed stop..and almost no brakes.
    The ABS system is sensing a "false wheel lock up" and starts to pump the brakes.

Pull the ABS fuse until you correct the problem.
    Pulling the fuse will allow your brakes just fine in the meantime.
    The anti lock feature will not work though.
    There is a wheel speed sensor on the backing plates that becomes corroded.
    Clean this sensor,and it will correct the problem in most cases.

5. catking

catking Banned

My brother just had brakes put on his 2002 Blazer. It had 31 K on it. They had to replace all the rotors . The guy said it looked like they sat at the bottom of the ocean for a few years............ Something just isn't right with breaks nowdays........The rotors were so bad they could not be turned. They were pitted............ My Ford Range had 28 k on it and the same thing happened . The rotors were pitted as if somebody shot them with double odd buckshot............We are ALL being taken to the cleaners by somebody...... THE CATKING !!!

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

had rotor issues on my 99 jimmy before i rolled it. And i had to replace the rotors were shot and that truck only had 30K on it when i did it. Getting some noise out of the new s-10 so its going on dads lift for a look and then to the shop to see what they say. Its still under warranty. so it needs fixed.

7. Most Rotors Are Made Off Shore Out Of Scrap Metal[china] Mike