1998 Chevy Blazer Questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zfish, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

I'm getting ready to buy a 1998 Chevy Blazer from my dad. I wanted to see what types of issues that they're known for. I know it's had the heater core and some other things replaced. It only has I think 68k miles on it.

I'd hate to sell my 1994 Toyota Corolla which has given me 0.00 problems to something that is going to cost me a lot in repairs.

2. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

heater cores are one, another is the intake gasket, when GM switched to dexcool instead of the old anti freeze they didn't know that dexcool ate away at the intake gasket, and alot of blazers had issues with that.

i have a zr2 blazer and i've had to replace a few o2 sensors, fuel pump and cat converter, not to say you will have to do all this....all and all i love my blazer and wouldn't trade it for the world!

ok...maybe i'd trade it for the world, but still, its a nice vehicle!

3. I have had zero problems with my 4 s10s other than normal wear items (brakes tires and shocks) well over 200 thou on the first two and approaching 100 thou on the two we have now, but I'am a maint, freak.

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

im on my 5th blazer/trailblazer and have had no major problems other than basic replacements. i did have a 2001 the front unis went bad on and some control board for the tranny went bad at the sametime. cost me over 3 grand to pay that repair bill.

5. fishmooften

fishmooften FISHAHOLIC!

Dexcool has absolutely no bearing on intake gasket failure. The OEM gaskets fail because they are all plastic. the factory replacements have little metal studs to keep the plastic from getting crushed when torqued.

6. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

so all the dexcool lawsuits that have been won aren't accurate?

7. dexcool crystalizes when mixed with heat and air that leaks in from usually around the radiator cap or leaking intake gasket and causes the heater core and radiator to plug, it is actually the failure of the gasket that causes bigger problems and the cause for the settlements.

I have made a small fortune replacing the intake on gms 3800 series motor and intake gaskets on the ford taurus.

8. Zfish

I know the dexcool has been flushed out and all new put in a couple times and the heater core was replaced not very long ago. I talked to my dad and it had 76 K miles on it

9. I've got the same year Blazer, about the same mileage maybe less. Undercarriage rust is your enemy. just replaced brake lines, replaced cooling lines last year, front differential was leaking, rear gearcase cover rusted out. Overall I like Blazers but they're rather expensive to maintain and a 10 year old Blazer will need maintenance no matter how low the mileage. This is in addtion to the normal brakes, front-end stuff and exhaust. Welcome to Ohio, LOL. Good luck, MikeC oh, yeah, rear universal too.

10. Transmissions! My best friend owns a car lot & he says that's one of the biggest problems. He won't sell me another one with the original GM tranny cuz they will go bad at some point. My first had a rebuild one & no problems, the second had GM's & I had to have it rebuilt. But people don't just like their Blazers, they love 'em. I will always have one due to towing boat & Ohio winters. The first one was a spare car but my wife sold her main car cuz we couldn't afford a spare anymore & didn't want to be without a Blazer to drive!

11. 95% of all automactic transmission failures can be traced to driver abuse(usuallly going from forward to reverse without coming to a complete stop) and lack of maint I have had gm trucks for years that have had 700r4, 4l60, 4l60e and the 4l80e all supposed bad transmissions at one time or the other and have put over 200 thousand miles on all of them as they came from Gm.

I worked in a transmission shop for twleve years and can tell you that their are very few poorly designed transmissions out there just abusive drivers and some poorly trained techs that think they know what they are doing.

12. I've got a 2000 LS 4X4 with 66K miles on it. It has been very well maintained and is still a great vehicle. I am taking mine into the mechanic as it is not making heat? Will make AC and runs at good operating temp - I am thinking a sensor went bad that opens the valve to permit warm fliud to run into core and circulate through the system?

Front ends get loose on these too. My grandfather had to rebuild front end on one of his and I am getting some issues with mine lately. Get it up around 70 mph and it jerks all over - could just be alignment or weight off on tire. I looked underneath and didn't notice anything. Will have it checked out and go from there.

Overall for a 9 year old vehicle, mine has had few issues and nothing major. The 4.3 motor still purrs and has plenty of power and the 4X4 works great. Heck, it even looks new inside and out.

As mentioned, expect some maintaining and repair expenses and it will be higher than a small car. Also, mine drinks fuel - about 14-15 miles per gallon.

13. I have a 2002 and the fuel pump went out on it and know 2 other people that have the same year and the fuel pump went out on them also. All 3 happend around 140,000 miles. Also had to have the intake gasket replaced and all 3 02 sensors. Engine runs strong and I know several people that have gotten well over 200,000 miles on them. I'm getting ready to sell mine if anyone is interested, will probably post it tomorrow.

14. Zfish

Fish N Fool,

If it's a heater core then that's an expensive fix because of the labor. The part is only like 100.00 but the dash needs to come apart from my understanding. My dad didnt have the time to fix his and it was around 800 to have it fixed.

15. BIGGUNS

BIGGUNS SFC-ARMY

OK THEN WHY DID DEX-COOL GIVE OUT A RECALL ON THE GASKETS AN SEND OUT CHECKS TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALL READY HAD THERE INTAKE GASKETS REPLACED ? I HAVE RECEIVED 2 CHECKS FROM DEXCOOL FOR MY 99 TAHOE AN MY WIFES 99 BLAZER FOR HAVING TO PAY TO HAVE THEM FIXED BECAUSE OF THE COOLANT.AN WHEN I FILED THE REBATE THEY SAID THEY WOULD REIMBURSE UP TO 700.00 PER VEHICLE, I RECEIVED 1200.00 FOR BOTH OF MY TRUCKS.

16. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

The fuel pumps tend to be problematic due to the exceptionally high pressure required to pressurize the fuel rail.

In regards to Dexcool, that is a can of worms I will only touch lightly (this thread could go 20+ pages on arguments of dexcool alone).

If you want some good reads on dexicool search the following forums for "dexicool": http://www.caddyinfo.com and www.cadillacowners.com.

In a nutshell dexcool, when improperly mixed, is extremely corrosive and can/will damage internal engine parts. The initial batches of dexcool were improperly mixed and resulted in numerous corrosion related issues. In addition there were issues related to bad radiator caps, which lead to lack of proper ventillation, which then lead to build up of "gunk" in the coolant system, which then lead to....you get the point. Dexcool is fine as long as your radiator cap is working correctly and you mix it 50/50 (with distilled water)

In regards to GM tranny's, (with the exception of the 4T60e) GM has always made, and will continue to make, the best automatic transmissions on the market. Check the fluid often, add when necessary, change when recommended, drive for 200,000+ miles.

17. zfish - I priced the core and it is up to the $131 - $155 range. I've torn out the dash of a S-10 pickup and replaced the core so I know what a pain it can be!!

I certainly could be wrong, but my only experience with cores going bad - they have all leaked. I was hoping the core was ok and the sensor that controls the valve is bad - much easier and should be relatively cheap.

These are good vehicles and you can certainly find parts ANYWHERE.

18. Zfish

I did actually sell my little car and bought the blazer. My father in law is dropping it off tomorrow at the house. They fixed the rear brakes for me and put in a new motor for the drivers window ( I knew it was bad)

Other than that the car looks almost brand new on the outside and as soon as I vaccum the inside it will look near new all the way around. I'll post a pic on Weds or Thurs. Seems like it will be a good vehicle. I know the heater core was replaces and all the timing belts and such were replaced less than 10k miles ago as a preventative plan that my dad kept it on. I'm definatly happy to have more room that's for sure !

19. Before you tear into the core pull the heater hoses from the water pump and try to flush out the core with a garden hose both ways, it may save you alot of time and trouble.