close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1996 Grand Jeep Cherokee mileage??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by exexec, Jul 25, 2004.

1. I have the above jeep and I get 16-17 mpg. Does anyone else have one and if so what mpg do you get. I thought I should get more like 22 mpg. I replaced plugs and rotor and didn't help much. Any other idea's?? I have a 4.0 litre 6 cylinder.

2. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I have a 96 now and owned a 94 also.

You will not get over 20 mpg with the V-8, even going downhill, with a tailwind, in nuetral :)

The V-8 has an EPA rating of 14 city, 18 highway. The 6 cly is 15 city, 20 highway. These are both for the 4 wheel drive's.

The 2 wheel drive model only raises the mileage VERY slightly.

If you are getting 16-17 mpg average on a tank then you must be doing quite a bit of highway driving with each tank to get that high of mileage.

I only drive mine during the hunting seasons and on really bad winter days when I need the 4 wheel drive. My kids HATE to borrow my jeep when their car's are in the shop. The gas $$$$$$ kills them

3. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

is your 4.0 an inline 6cyl? i have a '99 wrangler sahara with the 4.0 inline and the mpg is the same.not sure if it's true or not but a mechanic once told me that the inline on the jeeps give you more torque than the v's and that why jeep uses them.
    they are very good engines in my opinion though.pretty simple to do the regular maintenance and tune ups on.

4. It is an inline 6 cylinder

5. Your mileage is about right for that unit with 4WD. You should do better on the highway as long as you hold it down around 60mph. Things will go downhill at 65.

6. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

I have owned 2 Jeep Cherokees with the 4.0 inline 6 cylinder.
    Its a great engine.
    The 1st Jeep went 276,000 miles and still ran well.
    My 96 Cherokee now has 167,000 and does not use a drop of oil between changes.
    My mileage on the highway is 18-20,and has been with the last 2 Jeeps.
    I get 14-16 towing my boat at 65mph.
    A couple things come to mind...
    install a new air filter,
    increase tire pressure to 35p.s.i.
    install a new oxygen sensor.... regardless of whether you are getting a "check engine" light or not...the o2 sensor can be out of spec. causing a rich fuel condition.
    These should be changed about every 60-75,000 miles as part of a major tune-up.
    If you do the above,you should see a rise in fuel mileage.

7. for all the reply's. I thought I saw somewhere earlier that I should be gettin 20-22 mpg but it sounds like I'm doin ok

8. What I See Is People Are Passing Me On The Hi-way Going 80 -85 Then Complain About The Price Of Gas........duh-lol------

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I have a '95 Grand Limited w/ 160K+ & a '99 Reg Cherokee w/ 70k+.

The grand gets 17-19.

10. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

heck i've a '03 Liberty with a 3.7 and i've only seen 22.8 max on highway :rolleyes:

11. rockbass

rockbass Banned

JEEP: Junk Each & Every Piece! :D

Sorry guys I could not help it! I am actually not biased about any brand! ;)