close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1988 Johnson seahorse 35 hp reverse issues!

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by BigCatDaddy, Jun 26, 2008.

1. When trying to go to reverse when loading the trailer my motor just keeps clicking like the reverse wont engage! If i rev it up and finally it will go but the the motor jumps out of water! Any clue what the problem might be?:B Im kinda new with even having a boat so please speak english, i would prefer hillbillish! lol later

2. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

Sounds like you might of got water in the lower unit.

3. So how would i fix that problem?

4. Im completely retarded when it comes to boat motors!

5. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

The clicking is most likely due to you not engaging it hard enough. The throttle has an area where it is shifting into gear and an area where it gives more gas. You have to pull it through the shifting part rather quickly so the gears engage properly... then give it more throttle. You can play with the shifter while the motor is off for a few seconds and you'll be able to feel the 2 'zones'. The faster you move through the shifting zone the less clicking you'll hear.

As far as the motor lifting out of the water... this happened to me when my motor was not tilted into the water enough. Lower the motor some and give it slightly less throttle.

6. Yeah i know about the 2 positions! When i bring the throttle back to the initial engage it starts clicking, then i bring it into the throttle up and it is almost full throttle before it engages, then the motor that is all the way down position and locked jumps straight up! I just couldnt figure it out! thanks

7. I just want to get several suggestions on what it might be! I will try them all! I can work on anything but when it comes to general knowledge of boat motors i have no clue!

8. Just curious could the idle be set to fast? Also this started when i mixed the fuel for the first time the idle seems like it got alot faster! Could it be idling to fast and not letting the reverse engage properly?

9. Someone from cl told me to adjust the cable probally stretched or something! Is this an easy adjustment?

10. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

You can try to adjust the cable. Sometimes that works, but be sure you don't mess up the forward gear. A new cable might be needed. Or worst of all, and my hunch, is your reverse gear is failing. Not cheap! If you manually put the motor (not running) in reverse and spin the prop clockwise, I believe, it should lock. If it don't, you have a gear problem. If it spins and makes a ticking sound, you might have a worn reverse gear. When you advance the throttle, it slams it in and makes it jump. Disconnect the shift cable from the outboard, and manually shift it into reverse. If the prop engages, cable problem. If it doesn't gear problem.

11. Here is what it looks like! The previous owner had it jerry rigged! I need a new mount for the adjustment and a cable! Just by the looks of it this is going to be my problem![​IMG] Check out the pic and see what u think!

12. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

After looking at that, I would definitely start with a new shift/throttle cable.

13. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

wow... that picture is worth several words...... not many of them are good though haha.

Definitely take fishingguy's advice and disconnect the cable inside the motor. Then, if you can manually shift into forward and reverse you know its the cable.

When shifting manually with the cable off,.... you'll need to play with the prop a little to get it into gear. In gear, forward or reverse, the prop will not spin unless you muscle the motor to turn (not recommended).

14. Looks like it needs some help. I have a set of controls with a 14 foot cable length. and mounting clips that attach to the motor. I could E-Mail photos to you.

15. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I'll bet that cable is broken. Take the tape off and see if it's been clamped together. If so, it's slipping, therefore not engaging reverse.

16. motor shifts fine! Its the cable! Wonder why someone would fix it like that instead of just buying a 20 dollar cable to fix! I can get a cable for 20 bucks but wonder what the mount on the motor would cost? I dont even know where to look!

17. Yeah removed tape and there are about 5 clamps on the cable!:S

18. Thanks to everyone that voiced there opinions and ideals! I will probally be back when i get the new cable for adjustment advice! lol

19. what do your clips or mounts look like? To the guy that had the cable and controls!

20. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

Good for you bigcatdaddy! That looks like a macgyver job.lol Get the right cable and cable mounts and fix it right. Be done with the headache. Things that can go wrong, usually do at the most inopportune time!