close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1988 35 hp Johnson Sea Horse Prop issues

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by BigCatDaddy, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Got a 88 johnson 35 hp sea horse! Doesnt want to come up on plane! Someone said i might need a larger pitch prop! My question is how do i find the pitch on my prop now? My motor runs great just cant get it out of the hole! So if ya think u can help let me know! Oh and the motor is on a 15 ft bonita! The boat is pretty lite!

2. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

the size of the prop should be on the side of the prop or if u take the nut and washer off it should be right there. u will need a tach to tell where your rpms are at what the operateing range is for that motor and that will tell u which way u need to go. does the motor sound like its screaming while with the throttle wide open?

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

the prop could be slipping on the rubber hub inside. unless it has shear pin.

4. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

Could be weight distribution. If too much weight is in the back, boat might have trouble getting on plane. Maybe try puting some up front. I had a 35 rude that wouldn't plane on a 15 footer. Had to spread the weight around to get it up on plane.

5. That sounds good but thought of that already! Only have 2 batteries back there so the last time i had it out i buried the stick and then i walked up to the nose and didnt really make a difference!

6. When i bury the stick it comes up but just doesnt level out! My buddy i fish with has basically the same set up i do and he said he had the same problem and went up 4 or 5 deg. on his pitch on the prop and his comes up great now! I even have the moter setting in the back hole as far as i can get it!

7. freyedknot

the motor should have no tilt at all and be close to straight up and down.

8. Yeah it is straight up and down!

9. I took the prop off this morning, and it is a 10 x 13 the number on it is 390729! To get the boat up would i need to go to a 10 x 17 or would i drop to say a 10 x 9 wich one would give me the better hole shot? Lol talking like i got a huge motor!

10. freyedknot

17 , larger # for take off,but lower on top speed.17 might be too high. maybe a 15?

11. fishingguy

Bigcatdaddy, that is the motor with the mcguyver shift control. You sure the throttle linkage is ok? Maybe try unhooking the throttle link on the motor when you are out and advance throttle manually. Might not be opening up all the way.

12. Is there that much difference in just that small amount of change?

13. Yep its the same motor!When i have the muffs on it and hit full throttle for just a second that prop flies! Thats why im thinking its the pitch on prop!

14. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

theres a big difference when the motor is in or out of the water. u have to remember that prop will fly out of the water because there is no drag or slip like there is when the motor is in the water pushing the boat around. i believe if u go higher on the prop u will prob get a little more top end but will lose bottom end due to the motor not being able to get the rpms up higher on take off as u would with a smaller pitch prop. with a smaller pitch prop the motor will be able to get the rpms up alot faster on take off but u will lose top end and u will have to watch the rpms on top end that way u dont over due the motor

15. fishingguy

On muffs and in the water under load, is like night and day. If your cable is just 1/4 inch short from opening all the way, you may never reach your wot. By the looks of your shift cable, I would definitely be looking at your throttle cable. You should never run your motor at high rpm with just muffs. I don't even like putting it in gear on muffs.

16. The throttle cable seems to be in good shape! I was told last night to go to a smaller pitch prop for more rpm's to get the boat up! That makes more sense to me! I was thinking backwards at first! So next question what would be the first size you guys would recommend that i try? I have a 10x13 now!

17. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Lower pitch gives you better holeshots while higher pitch increases top speed. If you have a 13 pitch now a drop is in order.

However, what is your WOT? If you're not getting full power, you can change pitches all you want and never fix the issue.

UFM82

18. Since i need a new prop anyway! Just was wondering a good start on a new prop!

19. Needing a new prop is fine, but you really need to have a tach on it to see what your rpms are at wot. The manual for the motor should say what that operating range is. If the engine is running at it's said range, then I don't think changing the prop pitch will do anygood unless the wrong prop is on there now.