close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1985 Checkmate Sportfire

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by KSUFLASH, Jun 29, 2005.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I was looking to get some opinions on this year, make, and model of boat. Has anyone ever had a Checkmate? Also, I have looked up the price on the NADA Guide for this model/year/make and the price seems to be a bit deceiving that they show as I have looked on Ebay as well as via some online boat stores and the price they are asking is quite a bit higher. So I was wandering what you guys thought the price range would be for a

Boat: 1985 Checkmate Sportfire 17’ Balsa and fiberglass w/ski pylon

Engine: 1984 Mercury 115 horse six cylinder outboard w/power trim

Trailer: 1985 Eagle wide; drive on.

flash---------------------------------out

2. NADA values are always way lower than actual sale prices - IMO

It is hard to estimate a boat's value without a firsthand inspection for sure.
    I am not in the boat business, and really don't know what that particular boat would sell for.

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Ben...definitely get a compression test done on it before you buy it, and if you can, a pressure test on the lower unit. Boat might look like a great deal and be really clean, but if that motor is shot you're screwed.

4. i agree with the folks here...get the motor checked...but checkmate make one fine boat...i've had 2..one of them the motor was junk the second i ran for 2 years with no problems...but the boats are very well built

5. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

i passed one sitting on the roadside the other day and is still there. i didnt stop to look at it closely, so i dont know any details about it. i think it has a "johnson-rude" on it and i think its a 115 as well. swing by it and have a look.
    heres the map to its location around the red circled area.

Attached Files: