close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1982 johnson 9.9 elect. starter problem

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by sauguy, Jul 29, 2004.

1. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

my electic start on my 1982 johnson 9.9 does not start. i used my continuity tester on the leads and the switch assembly ,they seem fine. it starts with the rope, but not the electric. how can i test the starter to see if that is the problem? not experienced in motors, so if is simple i should be able to handle it. or could there be more of a problem than the starter. according to a manual i have there are only 2 bolts that hold it in and the positive cable connection on the bottom. do i have to remove the fly wheel. it looks tight taking the bolts out. if i take it out should i get power from the positive cable on the bottom? or can i somehow test the starter? any thoughts or experience on this problem will help. hate to take it somewhere and get charged alot for maybe something simple. please help if you can. thanks.

2. First simple place I would look is your battery connections, even the smallest amount of corrosion buildup can sometimes cause problems. Are you getting any noise at all when turning it over?

Rick

3. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Could be a solenoid problem.
    Hook a set of jumper cables to a known good battery.
    Attach the other negative jumper cable to the starter case or other good engine ground.
    Take the other positive and touch it to the terminal on the starter where the cable attaches.
    If the starter spins..you have a solenoid,switch or cable problem.
    If it does not...you have a bad starter.
    Another simple way is to set your voltmeter to DC....with the key in the run position one side of the solenoid should have 12 volts...hold the key in the crank position and check the second large terminal on the solenoid for 12 volts.If the voltage is not there....bad solenoid.

4. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

thanks guys. the terminals are clean. will try testing starter motor as you suggest, lewis and see if that works. not going to mess with it anymore today. tomorrow is a new day. am aggravated about this as is. thanks again. as for voltmeters and solenoids thats when i don't have a clue.