close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1979 Chrysler Outboard Won't Start

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by shayne, Aug 15, 2005.

1. shayne

shayne SHAYNE

I Have A 1979 Chrysler Outboard And Can Not Get It To Start. I Have A New Battery, New Starter, Good Fuel, Good Spark, Timing Is Fine And Still Will Not Start. The Kick Is When I First Bought It 3 Months Ago It Started And Ran For About 20 Minutes And Died, Would Not Start Dead In Water, Then By The Time I Got Towed Into The Dock 20 Minutes Later It Started But Would Not Stay Running, Now It Won't Even Start At All. Can Someone Please Help Me. I Have A 1979 Chrysler 75 Hp With A Magna Power Pack.

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

is the gas getting to the cylinders? wet plugs will not fire. try changing the plugs. try wd 40 sprayed into the cylinders instead of either.

3. Does the motor turn over? I had the same problem with one when the water pump went out. Eventually, the driveshaft froze up.

4. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Maybe the choke is stuck. I had a Chrysler outboard years ago that the throttle would sometimes stick. I would have to take the cover off and jiggle the choke linkage manually.

The first time that it happened, I was stuck at the dock with that "my motor won't start" look on my face. A guy launching his boat jumped in mine, took the motor cover off, said "try it now", and it fired right up. He showed me what he did (see above), and I had to do it again once in a while.