Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have an offer to take a boat off my buddies hands who is selling it for someone else for $500 and I would like some input.....

Boat is a 1977 OMC Formula Thunderbird with a 351 Cleveland or Windsor, last run about 2 to 3 years ago. It will need a new starter, 4 new tires, and a new rim before I can even think about getting it on the water to see if she's even still sea worthy. I have been told that there are no leaks and the motor ran strong the last time it was out......

I'd like to get a bigger boat for the big pond as my 16' with a 40 really restricts me. I am currently going thru a divorce so money is still up in the air. I'm guessing I will need new batteries along with the starter, tires, and rims. Also was told that I will need to add a plate to troll slow enough as trolling speeds are around 3+ MPH. Not sure what all comes with it yet but I do know it has a nice board pole and possible big boards.

This boat had been used to run 20 miles out on the big pond but even I know that is kinda crazy......

Thoughts and idea's would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
225 Posts
That year omc has a stringer mount,electric shift gearcase. They were not really tough enough for the 351. Parts and service on them is hard if not impossible to find and very expensive! They also used a big rubber transom seal, "boot", that can sink the boat if it gets comprimised. I would pass with out a second thought and keep looking. Good luck Bill

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
I had a stringer mount... the transom gasket isn't the worry... the 351 and electric shift combo is. I don't care what the guy says, how do YOU know for sure the starter is bad? How do you know the engine isn't tied up? Exhaust manifolds are hard to come by as well as other parts. OMC did not use the FORD block very long.

If you look at a boat with a stringer drive, make sure it's an 80's model with mechanical shift and CHEVY block.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts