close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1976 105 chrysler overheat???

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by steelheadBob, Jul 16, 2007.

1. steelheadBob

steelheadBob Robs Guide Service

I have a 76 105 chrysler that has been converted over to a force. But like if i idel to long going down rocky river so i dont make a wake, or try slow trolling with it, the heat alarm goes off until i speed it up alittle. I have a new water pump kit and everything else new down there so i know the pump works.. Some people have told me that was normal of that engine. That it liked to get up and go!!! The headgasket is new, head block has been re-bored(how ever u spell it) New plugs and wires, carbs been cleaned and tuned. So does any one have a thought.

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

thermostat? plugged inlet? plugged hoses???whats the pee tail look like? you know the stream of water that has came thru the motor and already cooled it, squirting out of the back. if you got a new impeller and it was installed correctly that pee tail should be a very strong stream. keep checking the cooling system. its gotta be there.

3. Does this engine have points type ignition, if so are they adjusted correctly? that can effect timing which can cause engines to run hot but usally under load. Any problems starting?

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

might be w/ the rebored cylinders. but what about a cooler spark plugs???

5. ovlo

ovlo

look at the thermostat I had a motor do the same thing. got hot trolling but ran fine wot. I took the thermostat out and there was a bunch of sand and little rocks in there blocking the passage way.

6. steelheadBob

I changed the thermostat and still overheats in low idel...... Going to try changing to lower plugs.. as to starting turns over on the second crank!!!!

7. ezbite

maybe the overheat alarm is bad???

8. There's a thought, maybe try and read actual temp to verify it actually is overheating, hook a temp gauge to it or even try an infered temp reader, good idea.

9. steelheadBob

well took it out yesterday and the motor just died, took off the head and 1/4 pisons was burnt like a hotdog in a forest fire.. thinking that i have a cracked ring.... My step brother is coming over today to look at it!!!!

10. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Man Bob! I'm sorry to hear about this new development.
    I hope its minor.

11. ezbite

damn dude... it's got to get better.:C your not having very good luck with watercraft this season:C keep us posted.

12. steelheadBob

well did a comp. check on all 4 . the burnt one had 90 lbs so i hadded oil to it and the comp. shot up to 100 lbs so its looking good for the crack ring!!!!!!!! oooohhhhhh boy is this going to be fun!!!!!