Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi OGF'ers-

I have had some pretty fair success working on and maintaining several old 50's evinrude outboards. Mostly by looking online and trial & error.

Spring of 2019 I found a 1968 Evinrude 9.5 Model 9822E. It's in good running condition (used it about 10 times this season) but has a few items of interest that I'd like to fix up. All that said, I just bought the official OMC 9822 9823 Evinrude Service Manual by the OMC Corporation.

Do you think this will be good enough for me to use to disassemble, fix and re-assemble correctly? Or do you think I should buy the SELOC 1301 manual? It's way more pricey, but has from 1956 to 1971. In my eyes, the Evinrude Service manual is specific to my model, and the seloc one is a generalization of all the models.

I'll probably do points/condensers/plugs/wires/carb service/fuel pump service/impeller and lower unit seals. My biggest problem with it (and why i got it so cheap) is that the bushing in the steering is worn out, so if you let go, it can veer off course even at idle. I tighten it down every trip and that helps.

I've done this work previously on a 55, 57 and 59 with pretty fair success only with info found online. But rather than trial and error, I really want to get this right by next season.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated-
If anyone has one of these laying around I could always use as parts. I'm in NEO, specifically canton but will travel 1.5 hours on a whim. :)

Evinrude-Sportwin-9822E.jpg

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
FlickerShad, you should be fine with the factory manual as a reference. The aftermarket manuals are decent but OMC service publications generally go into more detail. If you need any advice don't hesitate to give me a call.... I'm very familiar with the older Johnson & Evinrude models. Additionally, my parts inventory has pretty good coverage on the older classic O/B's. The older 9.5's had a tendency for the motor mounts to get soft which allows the carb to vibrate enough to slosh the fuel in the bowl. Mounts have been NLA for quite some time so I hope yours are in GC. Marineengine.com will have the parts diagrams you'll need for reference also. Mike Bruns Celina,OH 419-305-8111

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the thoughts Fireman Mike- I really just wanted feel like I made the right decision on which maintenance guide to buy. Since I went with the OMC official guide before your reply, I guess I made a decent decision. Thanks much for the tips too. I was really surprised how well this 9.5 ran, after buying it from an elderly gentleman from his garage sale for $40. I figured, at best, it's a steal, and at worst it's parts.

Yes, I have used marineengine.com for their parts diagrans on my old '57. It's amazing that these things still run, and even more amazing that there's parts!

FlickerShad, you should be fine with the factory manual as a reference. The aftermarket manuals are decent but OMC service publications generally go into more detail. If you need any advice don't hesitate to give me a call.... I'm very familiar with the older Johnson & Evinrude models. Additionally, my parts inventory has pretty good coverage on the older classic O/B's. The older 9.5's had a tendency for the motor mounts to get soft which allows the carb to vibrate enough to slosh the fuel in the bowl. Mounts have been NLA for quite some time so I hope yours are in GC. Marineengine.com will have the parts diagrams you'll need for reference also. Mike Bruns Celina,OH 419-305-8111

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are they both 9822's? (1968) I'll probably be sending a message once I get settled in at work and get to my 1st break-

I have two of these 9.5's. One is locked up I used for two parts. I'm in north royalton, message me if u want it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts