Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another question since you guys helped out so well the last time. On the cover it says to use quality SAE 40 mixed with the gas. Should I be using a 40 weight or should I use a 2 cycle oil? Also I was told to run a 16:1 ratio but the cover says to use 1/3 pint of oil to every gallon of gas wich would be about 2 1/2 oz less oil than the 16:1. Also on the lower unit it says once again to use SAE 40 oil. Should I use the 40 weight or the regular 80/90 lower unit lube? Thanks again guys!!

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,426 Posts
You can use 2 cycle oil without any problems. Back then they had very little if any 2-cycle oil. I use it in my '56 Johnson without any problems. Also you can use 80/90 gear lube with out any problems. Again I use it in my Johnson.

Also USE the 16-1 Ratio, some may say you don't have to?? DO IT ANYWAY!! My nephew is a outboard mechanic and say you should use the 16-1 as those motors were made to run that lean. Better to much oil than not enough.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dale. I figured the 16:1 would be ok but wanted to make sure. I ran it in a barrel today and it only ran good with the knob turned all the way to rich but it was pretty smokey. I guess it just seems so smokey because it was in the garage and in a barrel. I also put some seafoam in the gas because this thing hasn't ran for about a year. I guess that could make it a little smokey as well. Thanks again Dale!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts