close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

19' Sea Ray older boat what to look out for

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Eliminator, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Hi, this boat is for sale near me it's a 1975 with 235hp v8 with trailer $2600.
    The guy says it runs good everything works. He mentioned the floor had been replaced should that be of any concern like rotted stringers or something? Also how hard are these inboard v8's on gas? This Sea Ray isn't a bow rider just has anchor storage and walk through windsheild up front, nothing else trick about it. For $2600 is it worth taking a second look at? just looking for some opinions and experience with Sea Ray boats.

2. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Well, there is more to consider than just a name. What are you going to do with the boat? Where are you going to use it? No V-8 is "economic" if that is what you're asking. You're going to burn quite a bit of gas running it around. Figure at least $100/day for moderate usage on an inland lake - especially at $3.20-3.50 per gallon! More if you're on a big lake like Erie, run it hard or pull skiers etc.

It's a 1975 boat - 30+ years old. Take someone with you that is familiar with boats to assess what the actual condition is. If it's fiberglass you need to look at the condition of the glass and check the transom out very carefully. Rotted transom on a fiberglass boat can be fixed, but probably not worth doing it unless you have experience with such things. If the floor has been replaced, you can "hope" they checked the stringers and replaced them if necessary, or they might have just covered them up for the next poor guy.

There is an awful lot more to consider. If this is a first boat for you, I would consider something newer and more economical. I have seen quite a few late 80's and early 90's style runabouts with 4 cylinders for $3k-5k. More expensive yes, but do you want to "boat" or "fix"?

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

another member baught one last week and the transom was rotted out. he was lucky and got most of his money back. i would never consider buying an old boat unless you have a lot of money to throw into it if needed. his transom repair would have been 6 grand.

4. Are there any spots to pull the floor board up? Is it just screwed down? I'd pull up as much floor board as you can if it won't tear the boat up. If the owner doesn't want you unscrewing floor boards then he is hiding something. There should be a floor board in the rear wiht easy access for the bilge. That might let you get in there enough with a flash light to see the bottom of the transom.

Do you have any pictures?

You REALLY want to see under that floor board. Trust me.

5. I have owned my current boat since the late 70's, it's a 1967 MFG deep V with 60HP evenrude outboard, it has served me well never any problems and still use it to fish and ski I take it Erie for perch season also. I'm just getting tired of carrying tanks and mixing fuel, always wanted an inboard. There's no rot on my old MFG and all I've ever done was upgrade the steering system, I guess I'll just hang on to it. I would really like something newer with inboard though. I'll keep looking.
    Thanks for all your replies excellent conversation.

6. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

a 1975 V8 fiberglass boat..i can hear the fuel tanker docking now:D lol. just kidding. no matter what the condition of the boat is, you WILL be paying at the pump!!!

7. SwollenGoat

Nowake, nobody here is trying to say it isn't a good boat. However, you failed to mention what you were going to use it for, and whether this was a first boat purchase. Since we can't see what it looks like, due to its age most (like me) are going to make the assumption it's been well used. Fiberglass boats have a tendency to have structural problems the older they get. Especially if they haven't been stored inside or well maintained. And I agree with what has been said about the V-8, bad idea with today's gas prices.

However for what it's worth, here is a link to what appears to be a nice boat and would be easy on the pocketbook and is very light to tow. Not to mention these are huge on the inside. There's room enough to do laps in there! It's aluminum, and appears the interior has just been redone, 4-cylinder inboard, plenty enough boat for Erie (my wife's uncle has a center console version of this boat with an outboard and it handles 3-5' footers easily) Being that its aluminum the hull shouldn't be any worry. Plus, I believe these have aluminum stringers, not wood. Even still, inspect the transom which I believe is wood with aluminum overlay. That would be the one area on this type of boat that would give you grief.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/337850254.html

There are lots of boats out there - you'll find one perfect for you if you keep looking. Good luck man!

8. Well said and that aluminum boat is REAL nice!

9. I did E-mail that guy i would like a closer look at that baby!

10. SwollenGoat

Good for you! I think that is a great price on that boat. Post back and let us know if it works out.
    (I'd love to have that boat if I lived closer to Erie.)