Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the yaks out this am. Fog was just lifting as we arrived.
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1379274914.312211.jpg

Paddled upstream and got into smallies right away. A 10' two 12s and a 14. They cooled down so we started to cast net for catfish bait, when we caught this guy....in the net with shiners and two other dink smallies. Doesn't count, but a hell of a fish.

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1379275010.325902.jpg

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1379275018.875137.jpg

Started drifting shiners and ended up with 7 more smallies, a white, a drum, a sauger, and 6 cats. My son and I each got a fish Ohio channel.

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1379275133.007912.jpg

Chris was having trouble lifting his up, lol.

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1379275143.510392.jpg

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That report was posted quickly due to a low battery. Here's some more details.

When we arrived, we saw the silhouettes of two deer grazing the bank we intended to fish. Several large birds flew off as well.

That smallie was a hoss. My son was laughing at me, as I was peeved! Thing is, I cast on and around that ledge for ten minutes before we stopped to catch bait, then we caught that biggun in the net right where we were fishing. I'll have to come visit him again soon. Maybe he'll be 21" next year.

We had a great day in all. That sauger was part of a double on my part. I had a cat on one rod and was reeling the other rod in to avoid a tangle when the saug hit. I handed it off to #1. My bro came up and caught a saug on his first cast as well. Had a few minnows cut clean in half by gar but no hook ups.

For those fishing WWR, I saw no shad, and the bait I used to catch all the larger smallies was a jointed bass pro minnow, black over silver, 3". It very closely matched the shiners we caught in the cast net. Water temp was high 50s.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That report was posted quickly due to a low battery. Here's some more details.

When we arrived, we saw the silhouettes of two deer grazing the bank we intended to fish. Several large birds flew off as well.

That smallie was a hoss. My son was laughing at me, as I was peeved! Thing is, I cast on and around that ledge for ten minutes before we stopped to catch bait, then we caught that biggun in the net right where we were fishing. I'll have to come visit him again soon. Maybe he'll be 21" next year.

We had a great day in all. That sauger was part of a double on my part. I had a cat on one rod and was reeling the other rod in to avoid a tangle when the saug hit. I handed it off to #1. My bro came up and caught a saug on his first cast as well. Had a few minnows cut clean in half by gar but no hook ups.

For those fishing WWR, I saw no shad, and the bait I used to catch all the larger smallies was a jointed bass pro minnow, black over silver, 3". It very closely matched the shiners we caught in the cast net. Water temp was high 50s.

Does the WWR run colder than some other rivers kind of like the mad because I wet waded this weekend and it felt no where near that cold.

·
She says I'm on one
908 Posts
sounds like a very nice day on the water. I have a couple ledges with some resident 18's 19's 20"er smallies that found while surveying doing some electrofishing. You would be surprised at how little water that big of fish really needs to be completely hidden

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the WWR run colder than some other rivers kind of like the mad because I wet waded this weekend and it felt no where near that cold.

It could I guess. The east fork of the WWR is dammed and forms Brookville lake, so the brookville tailwaters add a lot of cool water.

Air temp was 50 when we arrived, and water was a bit warmer than that. We were wet wading too. Once the sun came out and the air warmed up, it was nice to have the cooler water.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
___upacreek
1,358 Posts
Nice report. I always wonder how many 20" fish watch my lure pass right in front of their nose.

I like your well rounded fishing style, switching gears to collecting bait for catfish mid trip

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Nice report. Maybe the biggest smallie Ive seen this year (and Ive measured four 19's) was caught by a high school kid in a cast net. He did turn it loose thank goodness. Right under a manmade ledge made out of old concrete...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts