close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1888 Fishing Industry --- Lake Erie

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Pike, Aug 5, 2004.

1. I'm no history buff, but thats some interesting reading. I guess it just takes fishing to get me to read.

2. Great link. As I read the history I said to myself, "The rape of the Lake". :(

3. Black Bass????? Herring?????? White Fish??????? Are they all gone or do we just call them something differnt these days?

4. Black bass are a group of fish now referred to as largemouth and smallmouth bass....as to the herring and white fish, I have no clue.

5. Good Find! Awesome Read! Thanks for sharing!

6. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

awesome, I enjoyed reading it

7. Hey Shortdrift, wasn't that your first job? The year's about right!!! LOL!! :D :D :D

That "bass" sure looks like a sheephead to me.. :eek:

8. Great read. I also wondered about the herring? Where there herring in the lake or were they talking about sheephead or something else? Also about the carp, some up to 6 or 7 pounds, imagine if they saw the size of some of them now. I have read in some history books about the fish in the Ohio River also. They talked about roasting 100 pound catfish on a stick over the fire.

9. "The rape of the Lake"

yep!, about what I was thinking.

Lake Herring-Cisco-Tullibee-Freaswater Herring ---- All one and the same.