Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got the opportunity to take my uncle fishing on the boat today. The same uncle that taught me how to fish and hunt when I was a kid, so I owed him. He has always been susceptible to motion sickness, so I had him take the Bonine last night and again this morning, and a case of Ginger Ale on ice with us today. Lucky for him the lake was flat as a pancake today.

Lucky for me, because of my uncle's motion sickness, I decided to troll close to shore between Sherrod Park (Vermilion) west to Cranberry Creek Marina in 18ft of water -as Bob's Bait mentioned they were getting them there in that depth. Almost immediately, before the first rod was all the way out, a 20" eye hit and we got it in. Sent the rod back out and the 2nd rod, and then the first one had another, and another... A lot of the fish were smaller, between 17.5" and 21". We did have some that were larger, the biggest being 26.5" We had some time and tried to perch fish by the condos and only got 4 in an hour and a half, so we decided to go back in to get the fish cleaned. Fun day and had 4 or 5 come un-buttoned behind the boat.

Here's what worked: 40 jets, 35 back. Pink/red harnesses assortment. Some with chartreuse backs, some gold backs, some pink backs. I run big boards off the side, so this probably helped in getting the lures away from the boat. We followed the contour lines on the chart/gps to stay in 18' of water. Made one pass from Sherrod to the Castle (before Cranberry), and it slowed so we spun around. By the time we got back to where we started we had 17 on board. We turned back around and got the last one in around 12:45pm. We started fishing at 9:30am.

Saugeye?
Pictures attached. Vito the cleaner, thought that we might have caught a couple of saugeye. I read somewhere before that there are some sauger in Lake Erie that can naturally hybrid with walleye and create a saugeye. Can anyone comment on the difference in markings from the pictures? We noticed the difference in coloring when we caught them, but never thought of that. Vito noted that their bellies looked completely different from the walleyes too.

Smallmouth: I almost forgot, we caught a smallmouth trolling. It was neat to see it come flying out of the water jumping behind the boat. Then my wife caught a nice fat one later in the day while we were perch fishing. I never had that happen before. Strange day for us, and we are thankful that everything worked out -weather, flat lake, and cooperating fish.

Good luck,
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great report Steve. I have been beatin it out of Vtown to the buoy the last three times and I just couldn't believe the guys telling me that they were trying it in close and getting fish. All the others didn't have one ticket for the whole boat but you have made a believer out of me for sure. I just thought with this heat that they would have moved out, but this has been the craziest year with the weather and the fishing. Don't know when I will try it again but if its soon I will certainly be looking west and saving some gas money first. Thanks again for a great report.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice job on the walleyes, there good eaters. My friend called this morning from Ver. to tell me he has 24 in 18fow, and I couldn't believe it. He was in a 35 ft. Tiara u mite of seen him.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Awesome job finding fish in unlikely places! People have stopped eye fishin (no fish to catch) or "run" to the buoy........while the fish are hiding under our nose.

That area will soon be squirrelly!!#!#!#

·
Registered
537 Posts
thats good to know they are still there. Got 4 trolling from my kayak last saturday morning. gotta love it when that happens. not many opportunities for that in a yak. the smallies are a blast, fish hits and i hear a splash behind the boat before i can even free the rod. Any cats? had a few saturday.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, we caught 2 large catfish. I completely forgot to mention that we caught 0 white perch or white bass, and only 1 sheephead. So, besides the 18 eyes, the only other fish we caught were: 1 smallmouth, 1 sheephead, and 2 catfish. Not what I was expecting at all.

I can only imagine that the area is going to be nuts this weekend now. I was hesitating for a minute to make this report, but figured I owed you guys for putting us on fish when we had no clue where to find them.

Has anyone ever catch odd colored walleyes like the ones we caught, or know if they are natural saugeye?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Catcher of Fish
2,855 Posts
Yes, we caught 2 large catfish. I completely forgot to mention that we caught 0 white perch or white bass, and only 1 sheephead. So, besides the 18 eyes, the only other fish we caught were: 1 smallmouth, 1 sheephead, and 2 catfish. Not what I was expecting at all.

I can only imagine that the area is going to be nuts this weekend now. I was hesitating for a minute to make this report, but figured I owed you guys for putting us on fish when we had no clue where to find them.

Has anyone ever catch odd colored walleyes like the ones we caught, or know if they are natural saugeye?

Thanks,
Steve
They look like walleyes to me - white tip on tail gives it away.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do believe I saw the 35 foot Tiara just north of us. Were they drifting, or trolling N to S in probably 24ft or so? We were a little busy, so I didn't pay too much attention to the boat.
This was our best day in fishing for walleyes so far. We just started trolling last year, and the best we ever did was 12 (on the first day that we trolled -report is posted here from last year if you search for it), and that was 10 hours of trolling.

Yesterday was completely unbelievable for us. We trolled by the weather buoy the day before and only managed 4 fish in 6 hours. Beforehand, I was guessing that by fishing in so shallow that we would have caught 300 white bass/white perch/sheepheads, and maybe be lucky enough to get 1 walleye for him to experience catching. I just stayed in close in case my uncle couldn't handle the motions on the boat. I can't even believe how fortunate we were -especially for his first time trolling for walleyes. He is going to be spoiled now.
Steve

·
Registered
537 Posts
This is why this site is good. Nice reports to get others on fish.I didn't post Saturday because I fish from kayak. How many would have believed my report. This is gonna bring guys in and put fish in their boats. 10 bucks worth of gas versus 100. Win win for all. Great job again.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
all i got to say is that i would take that day over any other, only 35 ft out, not a far run, and a good eating fish instead of the huge ones....

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thats some fantastic luck. I haven't boated 18 eyes since 2007. Hang on to that memory for a while.

And hang on to those fillets. I am mostly jealous that you have a bunch of edible fish to eat now. I have had to give away some of the bigger fillets from fish caught a month ago as the bones are horrible and I cannot seem to cook them long enough to keep them from being slimy.

It is really great of you to share the info.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I really appreciate the great responses from everyone, and can tell the information is appreciated. The guys that knew about the spot are going to wonder how the word got out. Hopefully we all don't get in each other's way out there this weekend now. If you see us in the blue trophy center console (with a blue pike sticker on the back), give a yell on Ch. 79. Come to think of it, that blue pike on my boat's sticker looks a lot like the walleye/saugeye fish we were questioning earlier in the thread :) When we first pulled those 3 fish out of the water, they were noticeably different than the others. They looked more of a silver/gray in color than the walleye that looks more of a green/dark-green/gold coloring. If I ever see any more, I will take a side-by-side pic with a typical colored walleye. I wish I would have thought of that before we had them cleaned.

Here is a site where a saugeye vs walleye debate went on. Lots of information and pictures:

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/654464/fpart/1/sauger-vs-saugeye-vs-walleye

Steve

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You can be sure that that spot, and the one north of Cranberry mentioned on another post will be a zoo. That skinny water will get blown out quickly by the boats ripping back and forth to find those fish. There are a lot of people looking for that easy ticket, me included. But that stuff happens, and will not be the end of the world.

What you HAVE done though is put it in our minds that you do not need to run to Canada to pick a few. And for that I thank you!

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
There are many spots like that close to shore from Michigan waters to the Pa line. Commadore got them in tight last week in the scolding heat. Taking the initiative and time to find the fish is the kicker. It's a toss up. Run to the border (or any of many known places that fish are at any given time), and roll the dice that the fish are there and aggressive, which they likely are, and be on fish in a half hour's ride, or take an hour, or all day to find the fish, then dial them in?

It's a coin toss.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
there is always fish in close, at all harbors, you think every walleye in lake erie migrates and spawns in the Mauree (sp), or detroit river? nope, there are eyes that stay in close all year long!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts