close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

15 PEOPLE CONVICTED FOR commercial sale of sportfish AS A RESULT OF UNDERCOVER WILDLI

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cornmuse, Mar 22, 2005.

1. :eek: 15 PEOPLE CONVICTED FOR commercial sale of sportfish AS A RESULT OF UNDERCOVER WILDLIFE INVESTIGATION

Fremont restaurant also fined as a result of “Operation RIP-RAP”

FINDLAY, OH -- An undercover investigation, “Operation RIP-RAP,” conducted by officers of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife has resulted in 16 convictions for the commercial sale of walleye and white bass. :mad:

Fourteen Ohio residents, one Kentucky resident and an Ohio restaurant owner were convicted in Sandusky County of a total of 33 violations involving the commercial sale of sport-caught fish. The Fremont Municipal Court and the Sandusky County Common Pleas Court levied a total of $11,800 in fines, $4,470.00 in restitution, 35 years of fishing license suspensions and 72 days in jail on those convicted. ;)

“Municipal Court Judge Michael Burkett and Prosecutor Bob Hart should be commended for setting an example that the illegal use of Ohio’s natural resources will not be tolerated,” said Terry Sunderhaus, law enforcement supervisor for the Division of Wildlife in northwest Ohio. :D

Information received through the Division of Wildlife’s Turn-In-a-Poacher (TIP) Program initiated the investigation, which involved the illegal sale of fish caught by anglers on a portion of the Sandusky River that passes through Fremont. The case earned its name for the large rocks, called rip-rap, that line the banks of the river to prevent erosion.

Established in 1982, the TIP program allows Ohioans to call toll-free from anywhere in the state to report wildlife violations.Violations of Ohio wildlife laws can be reported anonymously at 1-800-POACHER (800-762-2437).

-30-

A list of those convicted, as well as their sentences, follows:

For Further Information Contact:

Terry S. Sunderhaus, Law Enforcement Supervisor

(419) 424-5000

-or-

Ron Ollis, Special Investigations Supervisor

(614) 265-6315

OPERATION RIP-RAP CONVICTIONS

Joann Cummings, 56 (Delaware, OH)- Two counts of illegally selling sport-caught fish. First charge: $250 fine plus court costs; 30 days jail with 27 days suspended and credit for one day served. Three years fishing license revocation and three years probation. Second charge: $250 plus costs.

Jamie R. Cummings, 25 (Marengo, OH)- Four counts of illegally selling sport-caught fish. First charge: $250 plus court costs; 30 days in jail, suspended. Three years fishing license revocation, three years probation. Second charge: $250 plus court costs, 30 days in jail, suspended. Third charge: $250 with $100 suspended plus costs; 30 days in jail, suspended. Fourth charge: $250 in fines plus costs; 30 days in jail, with 27 suspended. Credit for time served.

Jay N. Cummings, 29 (Delaware, OH)- Four counts of illegally selling sport-caught fish. First charge: $250 plus court costs; 30 days jail, suspended. Three years fishing license revocation and three years probation. Second charge: $250 plus costs; 30 days in jail, suspended. Third charge: $250 with $100 suspended plus costs; 30 days in jail with 27 suspended. Credit for time served. Fourth charge: $250 plus costs; 30 days in jail with 27 suspended. Credit for time served.

Walter “Chris” Rhodes, 38 (Tiffin, OH)- Four counts of illegally selling sport-caught fish. First charge: $250 fine plus court costs; 30 days in jail, suspended. Three years fishing license revocation and three years probation. Second charge: $250 fine plus costs; 30 days in jail, suspended. Third charge: $250 plus costs and 30 days in jail, suspended. Fourth charge: $250 plus costs; 30 days in jail, with 27 suspended. Credit for time served.

Jerry N. Cummings, 67 (Delaware, OH)- Two counts of illegally selling sport-caught fish. First charge: $250 plus court costs; 30 days in jail, suspended. Three years fishing license revocation and three years probation. Second charge: $150 plus court costs; 30 days in jail, suspended.

Everette Holland, 72 (Cincinnati, OH) Found guilty of illegally selling sport-caught white bass. He received a $500 fine with $205 in court costs. Credited for serving three days in jail. He was placed on probation for one year.

Larry R. Fornash, 60 (Columbus, OH) Convicted of one count of illegally selling sport-caught white bass. He was ordered to pay $250 in fines plus court costs and $1,560 in restitution. His fishing license was revoked for three years and he received a 30-day jail sentence, suspended.

Grady Jones, Jr., 54 (Clay City, KY) Convicted of two counts of illegally selling sport-caught white bass and one count of illegally selling sport-caught crappie. He was ordered to pay $1,250 in fines plus court costs and $2,390 in restitution. His fishing license was revoked for three years and he was sentenced to 30 days in jail, suspended.

Thomas E. Rhodes, 36 (Tiffin, OH) Convicted of one count of illegally selling sport-caught white bass and walleye. He was ordered to pay $1,000 in fines plus court costs and $1,370 in restitution. His fishing license was revoked for three years and he was sentenced to 60 days in jail, suspended.

Patricia L. Strausbaugh, 68 (Fremont, OH) Convicted of one count of illegally selling sport-caught white bass. She was ordered to pay $250 in fines plus court costs and $350 in restitution.

William D. Borham, 47 (Marengo, OH) Convicted of one count of illegally selling sport-caught white bass. He was ordered to pay $250 in fines plus court costs and $460 in restitution. His fishing license was revoked for three years and he was sentenced to 30 days jail, suspended.

Eugene Garrison, 66 (Columbus, OH) Convicted of one count of illegally purchasing sport-caught walleye. He was fined $1,000 with $500 suspended, plus court costs. His fishing license was revoked for five years and he was ordered to spend 180 days in jail, with 150 days suspended.

Willie Dudley, 68 (Maple Heights, OH) Convicted of illegally purchasing sport-caught white bass. He was fined $100 plus court costs.

Larry Lemons, 50 (Akron, OH) Convicted of illegally purchasing sport-caught white bass. He was fined $100 plus court costs.

Solomon Zellner, 61 (Columbus, OH) Convicted of illegally purchasing sport-caught white bass. He was fined $100 plus court costs.

Tin’s Golden Dragon (Fremont, OH) The restaurant was fined $2,500 for illegally buying sport-caught walleye and $1,000 for illegally buying sport-caught yellow perch.

2. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

These fines are a joke! It's no wonder this kind of stuff goes on. They hardly even got a slap on the wrist.

3. I have to totally agree with orlando. That's B.S. That's why this stuff goes on. The made money and got a slap on the wrist. And I bet they're all fishing right now, and looking for a place to sell it. Asian resturants are famous for this. My body could not keep one asian resturant owner out of his 3 ponds till he chained his car and the other guys together. The asian got real mad, but I guess they don't under stand trepassing laws. He was catching bluegills and bass to cook and sell in his resturant, and it didn't matter what size. He was threatened again with law and never came back.

4. I don’t see a lot of “Asian” names on that list. I would also agree that the fines are a joke. I’m sure that they made more than enough (off illegally selling/buy the fish) to cover the fine. But, they did get the 30 days in jail……..27 suspended + time served.

5. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Exactly 27 days suspeneded. Big deal 3 whole days h### that ain't nothin but a short vacation. I'm sorry but this really p#### me off!

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

They got slapped on the wrist, what a total waste of time for the officers involved...suspend there fishing license, I doubt a poacher cares.

7. sgofish

sgofish AEP or Bust

:( Is there such a thing as an "Off Season" or is it called "Target Practice" with collateral damage when hunting for these poachers.

8. iwdavefish

iwdavefish Fishin' Fanatic

And the state wonders why more people don't call the poacher hotline. A slap on the wrist like those is an insult to those of us that follow the rules.

9. catking

catking Banned

When , oh when , are the people in charge going to start listening to the main masses??? Hell, I'll fill my freezer with walleye and perch and anything else that goes for $10 a pound at a store, if all I'll get is a political correct dumb butt " time out " Yea, lets charge people $25 to come to a state park that they already pay for to begin with , and while we are at it , lets let some poach and for crying out loud , not fine them enough that we don't HAVE to charge the $25 .................. Sickening to say the least.... Good question for the ODNR rep we have for the up-coming chat room night..... CATKING

10. It is not up to the ODNR on what the fine and penalties will be it is up to the judge who levels the fines...
    As with any infraction of the law if you have a good lawyer and even just any ol' lawyer you will not get the maximum under the law...

11. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

hey guys,

Just make sure you direct the blame and concern for the light sentences to the right place.

DO NOT send it towards the DOW. It is the state judicial system. The judges decide what is appropriate not the DOW.

The penalty for an exact same violation will vary from county to county based upon the judge hearing the case.

12. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

100% true, I have heard this many times from many different Wildlife Officers!!
    If a judge is not is not an outdors person they sometimes view situations like this as "Well it is just fish". In a lot of these cases as well these people are first time offenders so that is why they get off easy. Not that it makes it right but that is the way it is. It seems as if a judge is presiding over a case like this they should be required to have some sort of a background in the situation.

13. rockbass

rockbass Banned

True about the court system being the ones that need to stiffen penalties. It sucks, but that is how it works. The fines are nothing as some of you have stated. The other thing I think is funny is how they get sentenced to 30 days in jail and get 27 days suspended. does not mean anything then. I wonder how much money they made selling these fish before they were caught. Obviously was not the first time they did this.

I remember my uncle (I know I am ashamed) telling me he was going snagging at Fremont. I was a little younger and did not realize all the legal stuff about it. He was telling me that you are not allowed to keep snagged fish, but they do anyway. I was like don't you get caught? He said they do from time to time. He just took money with him to pay the fine when he is caught. He said they will kick the bucket over so the fish get back in the water and they will also cut there line to lose the snagging hooks. I just can not believe they could get caught, pay the fine, and keep about there business. I remembering him say he would take like 500 or 700 bucks with him each trip. Unreal! I am glad that I did not go with him the one and only timehe ever asked me to go fishing with him! :eek: