Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum. Truth is I'm having trouble getting my first boat (other than a kayak) registered. I purchased a boat off craigslist, turned out to be someone my wife went to school with. Anyhow, the reg he had showed the boat at 13'11"... perfect, no title needed. Well when I get to dept of watercraft they tell me the reg was changed to show the boat was 16'. I dont know who is at fault but that info was incorrect. PO said they recieved a call asking them to renew thier 16' canoe, and tried to straighten the record,apparently not good enough.

So anyhow, I had to get it inspected... this young kid came out, measured it at 14'1''. Then they said since that was the official length now I needed a title (a title that was never issued since the boat was bought new in 75 since it wasnt needed for a 13'11" boat).

This is rediculous. Would they even make a 14'1" boat? What about the 30+ years of it being registered in ohio at 13'11" w/o needing a title for all those years? I measured it myself at about 13' 11.5" the only thing I can figure is the inspector (who didnt even know the title law) included the thick piece of wood mounted to the back (is this called the transom?)... I assume the official hull length should just be the aluminum hull regardless of what chunk of wood may be attached to it.

This is one messed up deal. Oh well. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
If I was you, I would get it inspected at a different location, and if need be, take the wood off for now. Delaware has some very knowlegeable officers and are very nice to deal with. Had one done not long ago, and no, they did not include the wood. Mike

·
Time to fish!
4,987 Posts
If I was you, I would get it inspected at a different location, and if need be, take the wood off for now. Delaware has some very knowlegeable officers and are very nice to deal with. Had one done not long ago, and no, they did not include the wood. Mike
dito and if you have a bow piece on the tip of the boat take that off too they cant do anything about it being missing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I am going to call em tomorrow and see if I can get it remeasured. I think the one officer just flat out didnt know a whole lot about what he was doing. I'll check and see also how easy it will be to take the wood off and look for a 'bow piece', I know mine has a separate nose like piece but not sure if it is removable.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had this same problem. It took my boat out of commission most of last year. I think boat registrations were "changes a lot in the past. If a guy owned a 14'1" boat, he said it was 13'11". Some marinas made this a practice, too. This allowed him to forget the title and most importantly the TAXES. There are quite a few of these boats out there. Mine was quite the ordeal. Get your money back if you can.

Without a title, you can't register now. Every watercraft office will know. They will start an investigation and track the boat through all the owners to be sure it wasn't stolen. They will exhaust every possibility to get the original title since the boat was 14'1" . I hope your situation is different than mine.

I called 3 people in Watercraft every Tuesday for months! They probably still complain about me calling all the time.;) I got my boat titled though. If you keep the boat, be the squeaky wheel! Be polite, but never quit squeaking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I measured it myself and it is definitely not 14' 1". Its just shy of 14'. I am sure the officer included the wood on the back. If I have to I'll just take the motor off and pull the wood off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts