close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

130 Gallon Rectangular Fish Tank? Need opinions.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TritonBill, Apr 18, 2005.

1. I can get a 130 gallon tank at a decent price. I would like to have a tank this size so I can just put some bass,etc in it. The biggest tank I've owned was a 55 gallon tank.

What I'm wondering is will my floor (basement underneath) be able to handle the stress!? My house is about 5 years old. The ceiling underneath this room is open, would I have to have some sort of support? If so what would be suitable? The other option is put it in the basement but then I wouldn't get the same satisfaction out of it for now until the basement gets finished(which could be a couple years).

What do you all think? The tank currently has water in it and he was going to drain it, let it dry and then reseal it before he sold it to me. I can get this tank for 100.00 plus a stand. It's from a very good friend of mine's relative.

Just looking for advice!

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

maan..thats a heck of a deal for that size tank.. it would make my dream reef tank comes alive.. :)
    are you goin to use those fish as bait tester?? :D

3. The water alone will weigh slightly over 1000lbs. That doesnt count the weight of the tank, the stand, and any substrate you put in it. You are probably looking at 1200lbs in the end and thats a safe estimate. Ive seen in aquarium magazines before people just using 4x4 supports underneath to prop up beams and joyces under the tank for large set ups... but I'd look into that weight on such a small area. One thing to think of depending on how intensive you get with this system and having an unfinished basement is plumbing it so everything is in the basement and out of site.

4. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

The type of support is going to depend on the location of the tank. Will it be next to a load bearing wall or exterior wall? will it run adjacent or parallel to the floor joist? Are the floor joist 16” or 24” on center? Are the floor joist 2X8 2X10 or 2X12? My 125 is placed on a load bearing wall and spans across 4 floor joist. The house is about 10 years old. The tank empty weighs about 150 lbs plus 50 for the stand plus about 250 pounds of rock-work and substrate so I estimate the entire thing to be about 1450 pounds. There is no noticeable problem with floor sag at all. The 55 I had previously was not on a load bearing wall and not spanning the floor joist and I noticed a lot of sagging even though the weight was roughly 1/2 the new tank. When I say a lot it was about 1/8-1/4 inch which may not sound like much but for an aquarium it is. Your tank is spanning 12 sq feet so that weight is spread evenly across the base of this. That is 125 pounds per square foot of area. Not as much as an adult standing in one spot of the floor although this is not a 100% effective rule it is more accurate than you might think. My suggestion would be to place it on a load bearing wall and go to the basement under the tank and take a piece of string and attach it to a floor joist about 6 ” out from the approximate edge of the tank toward the center of the room. The string should be about 1/4 inch above the floor. Fill the tank and watch the line as the tank fills. If you get any noticeable change in the space between the line and the basement floor get a couple of basement jacks and support the floor joist nearest the ends of the tank. These jacks are like steel pipes with a treaded adjuster on the end so you can crank them up to the proper height. Make sure the post is plumb. if you do this you can easily conceal them when you finish the basement by building a closet around them. HTH

5. Lets see here.....8.33lbsX130Gal+ sq rt pie.314^7X18.1002946ninerXpoisone's qoutientX8 - pythagraeon's theory - 420 = Personally I would put it in the basement and maybe that would motivate you to get it finished quicker although my basement finishing project is only motivated by one thing, el dinero (A.K.A. money).

Bill, depending on your home builder, I would sure think your floor/basement ceiling would have no problem holding this much weight as my mother-in-law hasn't fell threw my floor yet.

Fastlane, are you farging serious about the "floor jacks?"

6. LOL, Thanks Sheephead, nice formula! You always seem to have the answers! I guess if your Mother-in-law hasn't fell through yet then the tank should be ok! :p

Fastlane and Ashton, thanks for your help!

7. did i here a niner in there?

8. Yes Mouse pajamas, in formulating this difficult hypothesis, several factors had to be assumed, these are also known as A,B,C, factors, several factors were unknown which I indentified as X factors. You must remember, the fish tank must maintain a bi-linear relationship to a wall and a floor therefore you must start proving your theory with a point specified by a single real number called its coordinate. Let the coordinate of P1 be x1, and that of P2 be x2.
    The distance from P1 to P2 is

d = sqrt[(x1-x2)2] = |x1-x2|.

The coordinate of the point dividing the line segment P1P2 in the ratio r/s is [rx2+sx1]/[r+s]. As a special case, when r = s, the midpoint of the line segment has coordinate [x2+x1]/2.

The set of all points with coordinate x satisfying a linear equation in x is a single point. Its equation has the general form

Ax + B = 0,
    where A is nonzero. The coordinate of the point is -B/A.

Its rather basic geometry but its still valuable in that TritonBill can use it in making his determination as to a safe place to put the new monster fish aquarium he wants to get. The "niner" that was thrown in is common mathematical jargon that we math nerds find funny. HEEEEE....HEEEEEE...HEEEEEEE.

9. sorry im not as smart as you mr Aplodinotus grunniens noggin expert. with the hole math thing. i slept through my geometry class. i just thought it sounded like you were calling from a walkie talkie or cordless phone or something.

j