• 20ga.

Votes: 8 30.8%
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Just food for thought.
I m o
a lot of it has to do with payload, velocity, projectile, and whatever else I’m overlooking.
google savage 220 vs 212 with the accutips.
velocity and bullet weight differ, but bullet drop at various ranges are comparable.
energy obviously goes to the heavier bullet.

no deer gun, but example:

.410 #6 shot 1/2 oz load. 1200 fps
20ga. #6 shot 7/8oz load 1200 fps
12ga. #6 shot 1 1/8oz load 1200fps

isn’t each individual pellet traveling at the same speed and carrying the same energy?

idk

·
'Super Moderator'
13,339 Posts
Just food for thought.
I m o
a lot of it has to do with payload, velocity, projectile, and whatever else I’m overlooking.
velocity and bullet weight differ, but bullet drop at various ranges are comparable.

isn’t each individual pellet traveling at the same speed and carrying the same energy?

idk
Also...you have to consider the charge difference between the factory 12 and 20 slug loads.
Most have heavier charge in the 12 vs the 20 so you're not really comparing apples to apples as far a ballistics. Especially drop in trajectory. Hand load the 12 and 20 with the same charge and see what happens.
Check out ballistics on a 50 cal inline...one shooting a full bore bullet...the other shooting a 45 cal. sabot...both the same grain bullet and both shooting same charge.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Just food for thought.
I m o

idk
When they leave the barrel, yes. Shortly after the outer edges of the shot pattern fall away fast leaving the inner core of the pattern to do the same as it moves forward. Before you know it there's no shot at all to travel down range. So starting with 1/2 oz to 1 1/8 oz, which do you think will make it further down range? Also shot does not carry any significant ft. pounds down range unless it's mass is 00 Buck or a solid projectile, in which case traveling at the same speed, the heavier will always carry more thru the whole range. So like fastwater said it's apples to oranges.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
20 gauge. Much flatter shooting. I'm talking 100 yds plus. But hunting super thick stuff close shots during gun season I would prefer a 12. I typically just hunt with the muzzleloader though

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Next time you have the chance look at ballistic chart on back of Remington slugs. 12s & 20s, There may be certain 20s that out shoot certain 12s but that’s comparing apples and oranges.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I only have 20 gauge shotguns. I take a lot of youths out. Hornady SST 2 3/4 sabot in 20 on the box says zero at 150 yards and 8" drop at 200. I use mostly lightfield slugs but got some of those sst's because that was all I could find. The lightfields say sight in at 100 and they drop off soon after. Most shots around where I'm at are fairly close. Especially with kids. The lightfields do the most damage. They're made to not exit. So all the energy is going into the deer.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts