Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking of purchasing a 12' native ultimate basic and I would like to hear any positive or negitive feedback on that model. This will be my first fishing kayak and I would really like to see or hear of how you guys have them rigged. Any input will be great.Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Are you talking about the native ultimate in basic trim? If so i demoed one and really liked it a lot.i was really considering buying one.their really stable and pretty light as well.only reason i didnt get it was i knew i would be taking whatever i got out on lake erie so i got a sot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Its the ultimate in basic trim. I looked at a couple other, including some larger sit-on-top, but weight was a huge issue. I will be putting it on top of my car, with no rack.

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
I have had one for seven years. It is light, extremely stable, and comfortable to fish from. Besides the weight, it's design makes it really easy to throw on your shoulder or over your head. It also does not need much in the way of modification unless you are a lake guy and want to add an anchor trolley and some flush mount rod holders on back. It tracks well on flat water, and is pretty easy to paddle, and is reasonably maneuverable on small flows.

Now for the negatives. It does take in a bit of water in a chop or anything approaching class II flow. It sits pretty low, and doesn't self bail....that's about it.

It is really a very simple and practical fishing platform. If weight and portability are a major issue, I don't think you can beat it...unless you go for the Ultimate Tegris.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've got one as well.....had it for a few years...love it! I keep a big sponge wedged under the seat tray to soak up the "slop".....the weight and seat were two big reasons for choosing it....I throw it on my jeep and go...

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the basic 12 too.Got it this year and have been really pleased with it.I have had it at Kiser when it was blowing pretty good and the waves were alittle on the rough side.I thought the ultimate did very well and water in the boat was minimal.

I have had it on the Mad and the GMR...and whenever I came to a fast riffle/rapid that I thought might be above my skill level I just dragged it through the calmer sections.Bypassing it.

I really feel the ultimate is a great all around boat if you can only afford 1 type of kayak.Light weight.Easy to stand up in,that comes in more handy than you think.Tracks straight,fast..I feel it is very maneuverable,but all my experience is from canoes...only thing I added to it was an anchor trolley.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cons:
-not capable in class 2-3 from what I have heard.YMMV.
-I got stuck on a submerged stump.I went over it head on and went to turn the boat,but the stump was in between the pontoons on the bottom of the boat.Didn't upset the kayak at all but if in a river or moving fast might screw you up.
-no real good spot to put the paddle.A paddle clip or bungee is a must.

That is the only things I have noticed in the short time I have had it...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I had a U 12 for a couple years, not one of my favorite in rough water or shallow water. I got stuck in in the salt flats many times while a buddies didn't in his OK or Wildy.
I wouldn't take on lake Erie but I wished I got the 14 as it a much better craft over the 12.
I now have the shorter U 9.5 but only use it on hard to reach ponds and carry a minimum because of weight limit.

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
I've got thousands of miles of river and creek fishing on mine if that tells you anything. If it is raining or you have rough seas, just keep a sponge or a rag in each of the tunnels and ring them out when you take a break. I've never used a paddle leash.

Get a spray skirt for the front! It keeps a lot of splashes out of the boat, and it has a flap which is great to stick your paddle blade in when you aren't using it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts