115 Evinrude Quit Running?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by EMRDUCKS, Jul 6, 2008.

1. EMRDUCKS

EMRDUCKS "SUPPERS READY" ON 68

Running Out Yesterday For Eyes. My Engine Just Quit. Like Someone Turned The Key Off. Didn't Sound Like It Ran Out Of fuel Because It Didn't Sputter. Will Crank All Day But No Ignition. Anyone Ever Experiance This? I'am Thinking Power Pack. But I Know These Ignition Systems Are Pretty Complicated And Expansive To Do Trial And Error. Would Like To Repair Myself Before I Call The Mechanic

Thanks For Any Help

2. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

What year? Ignition system?

3. EMRDUCKS

1994 It Has What Looks Like 4 Power Paks. one For Each Cylinder With Plug Wires On Each One. Also A Black Rectangular Box On The Top Which Some People Said Was The Power Pak. I Don't Know .but I Pulled Two Plugs One From Each Side And No Spark. So It Might Be The Black Box On Top

Thanks

4. i know this might sound like a dumb question but you didn't knock off your kill switch on the ignition by mistake. I did that one time and it took me a while before I realized it. was checking everything else then I looked down and saw my kill switch dangling there on my 70 hp evenrude.
    Triple-j

5. Pull all plugs and see if any have spark. That motor has four coils next to each cylinder. If the motor just quit that does sound like a powerpack or other related issue.

Also make sure that your fuse in your wiring harness did not overload onad pop. The inline fuse is between the plug and the motor on the wiring harness.

Do you have a manual? They are cheap and may give you some beneficial info.

6. Another thought about the kill switch. The no-spark thing is what would make me look at that. Rule out the easy stuff before messing with expensive parts. It took me a new Voltage Regulator/Rectifier to realize my tach was just bad.

7. better look at that inline fuse , might be corroded up , /kill switch /power pack . then start with the hard stuff.

8. Forget the fuse! The fuse only powers the cranking system. Your ignition system is self powered by the magnets in the flywheel. You need to check kill circuit first, could be that the key switch circuit could be grounding out the capacitor in the power pack (black box on top), then you will need to check voltage output from charge coils (under flywheel) brown wires with orange or yellow stripes, or check the charge coils resistance with an ohmeter to verify you don't have an open or short to ground. if all good then you can then safely assume its the power pack only after verifying no wires became unplugged from the power pack or from the main harness (red plug). By the way the key switch has two posts marked "M" these are the kill circuit connections, when the key is turned off the two posts make contact internally and short out the capacitor preventing the engine from running...I some times open up the control box and remove one of the two wires on those posts to verify I don't have a key switch problem.

9. EMRDUCKS

Thanks For The Reply's Guys. What A Great Site Withe Great People. Boat Doc I Will Give It A Try. Thanks All. Will Post When Figured Out.

10. EMRDUCKS

Well Replaced The Power Pak. Found It Online At Marine Engine .com 40.00 Cheaper Than Any Where Else. Have Good Spark But Motor Won't Stay Running. Now Sounds Like Fuel Problem. Pulled Line Off Fuel Pump And It Throws Fuel. Don't Know Whats Going On.
    Boat Doc Hope Everything Went Ok This Eve. Thanks For Your Help.

11. EMRDUCKS

Well Finally Got A Hold Of The Mechanic In Lorane That Rebuilt It In 06. He Was Nice Enough To Come In On Sat And Run Some Tests. The Problem Is The Stator. Weak Spark. Ordered Stator Yesterday . Hope To Be Fishin By Thurs. Thanks Boat Doc And Everyone Else For Your Tips.:)

12. Good to hear! I had thought that might be a problem also but knew that you had limited equipment for testing the system per the factory manual. Hard to evaluate problems via email discussion or over the phone. Happy fishing!

Eight Bells is still in pain...she is home on pain meds until swelling goes down...will see doctor when I am in Canada which he will then schedule surgery!

13. EMRDUCKS

Boat Doc- Hope Everything Goes Well With Her. Have A Fun And Safe Trip. Thanks Again

14. Healing is taking place and all is almost back to normal. Just got back from fishing trip...WOW... what a trip. Caught Pike over 40" on Lake Evans!