close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

11-06-04 Smallies

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Walter Adkins, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Spent 3 1/2 hrs on the LM. I have never fished this late in the year for smallies in river or streams. I will from now on. Water is super clear and low. The water may have been cold but the fishing was not. I caught seven all 16" to 17 3/4" and had several others follow my lures. I went with the idea that I was going to have to fish slow to real slow, I was wrong. I had tubes, jigs and worms in my vest. The fish did not want any of them. I was fortunate that I had some sinkos. I could not get a bite until I figured out that they wanted the lures to be moving quickly. I fished the sinkos like a soft jerkbait about 2' under the surface in deep holes.
    What a day to be fishing, even saw another mink.

2. Thanks for your report. Due to all the smallie reports recently and the fact that my daughter can now effectively throw lures with a spinning rod, we will launch an assault on our local creeks tomorrow. My daughter hasn't caught a river smallie yet, and I hope she can get one to clear the water a time or two just so I can see the look on her face.

3. juniormintz

juniormintz 4-Mile Fanatic

congrats on an excellent day fishing walter!!! If you dont mind me asking what color sinko were you using, it sounds like the smallies would like to hit a fluke with the way you were presenting the sinko.

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Sounds like a blast, I tried for smallies this year but had poor results.

5. I was using a smoke with black specs in it. Flukes or any jerk bait would have been nice to have had in my vest.
    Every trip teaches me that the fish are smarter than me.
    have a good hook set.

6. juniormintz

juniormintz 4-Mile Fanatic

went out to my local creek today and managed just one smallie, about 12 in. Got'em on a craw color crank bait. Fish were much more active today chasing baitfish, so that's good news.

7. Floater

Floater Floatin' on by

I also hit one of my favorite smallie streams on Saturday and caught one small one, probably around 9-10". What time of day were you fishing Walter? I fished for a few hours in the early to mid afternoon. I agree it was a beautiful day to be out and the water was extremely clear. I didn't expect to get much with it being a such a bright sunny day and fishing in the middle of the afternoon, so I was thrilled to catch at least one.

8. I got in the water at 12:30 and came out at 4:00.

9. catking

catking Banned

This time of year I do my best in the early morning. About 6 am until 9 am. My borther has been picking up a few every time out, with one at 4 pounds. He also caught a 9 pound drum :eek: .......... I'll be hitting the stream Thursday.............. ~**~

10. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Awesome Smallies! I hope to get out again for some smallies or saugeye or whatever I can catch! I am not picky!