Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out of Geneva this morning NE to 74 FOW Set up and trolled N. Slow day with only 7 in the box. We kept loosing fish today like I never have. We lost at least twice the amount we caught. They would smash the dipsy, or the little boards and we would start reeling in and would loose them. Hard to believe we could loose fish with treble hooks doing 1.8-2.2mph but we did. It was pretty frustrating today. We should have limited out pretty early today.

We ran our dipsys deep again and the #3.5 set at 195 w/meat out fished all others w/purple spoons. Little boards with wire set @250' running a small reef runner "cheap sunglasses" caught half the fish. Again speed was 1.8-2.2 mph.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I feel your pain :( Could not keep them on either. Good day of fishing anyhow :) Great talking with you out there and hope to get up next weekend and the following week. mike

·
Eat-Fish-Hunt
1,632 Posts
I know what you mean...wonder how they can become unbuttoned with all that sharp steel in their mouth. We lost numerous fish on Friday. You know their not sheep...they don't come off:D

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
not much a person can do especially using dipsys. friday we lost a bunch also. saturday retied harnesses with brand new out of the box hooks. didnt lose anything sunday, only one a steely that went airborn with the dipsy way out of the water. funny to see the dipsy 2 feet out of the water.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Kinda slow for us at times on Sunday too Jess. Although we had doubles several times. Seemed the fish came in spurts. Good work on the fish. We also lost several fish, and had knock backs with nothing there but a chewed worm.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kinda slow for us at times on Sunday too Jess. Although we had doubles several times. Seemed the fish came in spurts. Good work on the fish. We also lost several fish, and had knock backs with nothing there but a chewed worm.
Jeff, I had a little board with a reef runner on it go completely under the water and the rod shook several times before we got to it. Once I picked it up, nothing?

·
Its going under
810 Posts
We had the same thing Saturday we lost atleast 5 that were hooked up. Took drag out and shook the pole and as soon as we got it out of the rod holder and started reelling giving no slack fish was gone. One time the worm harness even had a bite mark in it. Its definitly a head scratcher.

·
Fare Thee Well!
481 Posts
Are the people that are losing fish using treble hook stingers? I was just curious, because it seems to me that with treble hooks, there is actually less of the hook in the fish than there is with a single hook. I guess what I'm getting at is, a lot of people on the board switched to single hooks on their spoons instead of a treble hook, and say it helped with the catch ratio. Why not harnesses too?

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We had both treble & single hook on harnesses and spoons. It didn't really matter. I am going to try loosening my drag more and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
At the slow speeds we are running, slack line when taking boards off or popping a release will allow fish to come unbuttoned. I always keep tension when taking boards off and have the angler reel down to my hand to make sure the fish don't get that chance.

What size octopus hooks are people using? I tied a bunch of harnesses up with #4 gamagatzu octopus hooks on the front and a gammie wide gap #6 treble on the back but shortened the distance between the two from 4.5" to 3.5" because of the all the dropped fish earlier this year. I used those new ones Saturday out of Geneva and we only dropped a couple fish but the majority were hooked inside the mouth on only the front hook with the trebles outside the mouth in the chin or side of the jaw if they found the fish at all. The spacing change was because of the numbers of fish that the treble never touches. I'm relatively new at spinner fishing but based on that observation, I have to believe the fish are homing in on the beads and blade when they bite and not the worm. I even thought about running 2 trebles instead of the single in front.

The other thing that might have helped us is some patience. We let at least 30 seconds go between the bite and lifting the rod out of the holder. Sometimes when we have doubles on it becomes several minutes and we still get them to the net.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's some good advice Gobucks85. I am using OTC harnesses and I did notice a lot of the front hooks only as you described. I've never tied my own harnesses but I'm going to start. Andy aka "Fireline" got me interested. What #lb line are you using for your leader material?

·
Mongo
515 Posts
We have not lost a fish on a harness yet and I think that the hooks may be the difference. I have been tying mine on 17lb trilene xt and using a number 2 bait holder gamagatzu as the front hook and a number 6 gamagatzu wide gap treble second. I have also been running two gamagatzu number 2 bait holder with great success. I tie mine with a 3 inches gap between hooks. I think that the bait holders work better because they are a larger overall hook and they don't twist out like the others. We have been getting them on the front hook with the rear hook way down in their throat.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
That's some good advice Gobucks85. I am using OTC harnesses and I did notice a lot of the front hooks only as you described. I've never tied my own harnesses but I'm going to start. Andy aka "Fireline" got me interested. What #lb line are you using for your leader material?
Lately I've been using 15lb. Big Game only because I had a spool laying around. I'm curious myself what the guys who really know what they are doing are using.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Lately I've been using 15lb. Big Game only because I had a spool laying around. I'm curious myself what the guys who really know what they are doing are using.
I'm just a neophyte (somewhat new to harnesses), but I use 30 lb P-Line fluoro. Seems like when I used 20 lb and below for my harnesses I broke a lot of them between the hooks. When a Walleye has the back hook in its lip, the front one would often catch toward the top of the net, and when the Walleye shakes its head down in the net...broken leader between the hooks. The 30 lb is also more resistant to fraying from Walleye teeth between the hooks. Anyone else have problems with line breakage between the hooks? Or is it the type net I use or net technique?

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,511 Posts
I'm just a neophyte (somewhat new to harnesses), but I use 30 lb P-Line fluoro. Seems like when I used 20 lb and below for my harnesses I broke a lot of them between the hooks. When a Walleye has the back hook in its lip, the front one would often catch toward the top of the net, and when the Walleye shakes its head down in the net...broken leader between the hooks. The 30 lb is also more resistant to fraying from Walleye teeth between the hooks. Anyone else have problems with line breakage between the hooks? Or is it the type net I use or net technique?
When the fish hits the deck tell whoever is on the rod to thumb it and freespool carefully without backlashing so while the fish is on the deck freaking out even if you have one hook in the net and one in the fish the extra line from the rod will have enough slack in the line won't bust the hooks. The only time I ever have harnesses break is when they catch alot of fish and they get really worn, obviously when unhooking fish you have to be careful how you unhook them and be careful not to grab the snell and hook only, this is the number one reason why spinners break between hooks.

To the other guys with the #4's. Those hooks are to small, after putting on a fatty crawler you don't have alot of hooks showing to bite into the mouth of a 6-10 pound horse. Bump up to a #2 or two #2 and a #6 trebel. Saturday in Geneva every single fish that we hooked, ended up going for a Crisco bath, the only 2 that aren't never buckled up just swings and misses. Just another reason why little boards rule, you see how the fish is hitting your bait, hard, hanging on, dragging it back, pounding it, I always let my fish hang tight before pulling the rod out of the rod holder (plus you can feed it back to the fish if they miss after the intial bite) to make sure it hooked up good, if it's a nice fish over 6 pounds after puling the rod out of the rod holder you have full control how much give/pull you want to give that fish. Big boards you have zero, it pops the release, line slacks and your at the mercy of how much line is out with no board to give tention on that fish, the little board acts as a tention device to drive those hooks home. Just my opinion of course.

·
After Eyes
471 Posts
yep i agree have also switched to 35 lb line no more breakage (or not as often) those wally teeth seem to be hard on the line and also as k gone said bigger hooks get your fish on!!!!

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Rick, I would say recently converted...from strictly dipsies. ;)

Kevin, thanks for the words. Breakage isn't so much from a tight line from pole to harness. It is when one hook is in the fish and one stuck in the net. They seem to get enough leverage to snap the line between the hooks. Once the fish/net hits the deck though, they don't break leader.

·
Lund 2075 Tyee
558 Posts
yep i agree have also switched to 35 lb line no more breakage (or not as often) those wally teeth seem to be hard on the line and also as k gone said bigger hooks get your fish on!!!!
Patrick, what kind of hooks are you using?? I can only get 20 # test back thru the eye of the hook when i'm snelling the second hook. I've been using #2 Gamakatus Octupus hooks for years and they are great. Wish I could use a little heavier line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was loosing a lot of fish the last couple years on my dipsys so I decided to run them all with snubbers like I would for Salmon or Steelhead. I do believe that it has made a difference. I don't seem to be loosing near as many fish sense I switched up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts