close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

10 hp Johnson repair

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Skooky, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Skooky

Skooky Fish Wizard

I have an old Johnson 10hp seahorse that was given to me and was wanting to have it rebuilt. It doesn't run and I'm not sure how old it is but guessing mid 60's. Anyone know of a good place to take it in west central ohio to be repaired ? I am about 20 minutes North of Dayton.

[edit]- I was able to check the model number (QD-19) and it is a 1958.

thanks, Jeff

2. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

If it needs a total rebuild you are probably better off buying a used running motor. If compression is good it may just need a caburator rebuild. As for any good honest outboard mechanics I can't help you there. They are truly a dieing breed.

3. There is a place in Lorain, Ohio if you are interested in going that far. He went over my 1948 Seahorse 5.

4. Skooky

Skooky Fish Wizard

It does seem like outboard mechanics are a dying breed. I am hoping to get the 58 Johnson seahorse fixed for nostalgia purposes. I have a 1958 Cadillac Daytona 114 Aluminum fishing boat and thought it would be sweet to put a vintage motor on it. Maybe I'll just tear it down and do a rebuild myself. Or, have my older brother help, he's a mechanical genius. :)

I guess I will consider buying another used motor that already runs good in the meantime. Any sellers out there ? I'm looking for a 10 hp or less outboard for a 14' fishing boat. I'm also in the market for a good working trolling motor. I usually stick to less crowded and smaller bodies of water for fishing in West Central Ohio.

thanks, Jeff

5. Pike

Pike

There is a place in Kettering called Todd's Marine that does good service work on older Johnson/Evinrudes. Hope this helps.

6. rockbass

rockbass Banned

speaking of the good servie guys as being a dying breed, just wait, in 10 yrs there will be even less. Just like cars, the more advanced the technology gets, the less people will be able to keep up. I am sure it will be that way for boat motors too! :(

7. Skooky

Skooky Fish Wizard

Being that the motor is so old, I will probably just keep looking for a newer used motor (10 hp) that runs good. It'll be a good project motor one of these days.

If I can find parts for it I'm pretty sure between myself and my brother that we'll be able to get it going again.