close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

10/16/04 Cripple Creek Cat Tourney results

Discussion in 'Tournament Discussion' started by Corey, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Well, our last event of 2004 is history. Even with the cold, rainy weather we had 49 hard-core Catmen and women turn out to brave the elements. There were some great fish brought to weigh-in. All winning weights are for 3 fish limits.

1st Place-Russ Fisher-29.09 pounds-$200.00
    2nd Place-Gary Hanson-27.1 pounds-$120.00
    3rd Place-Matt Long-19.06 pounds-$80.00
    4th Place-John Corns-16.15 pounds-$41.00

Odd Fish-Eric Wohlgamuth-8.09 pound Sheephead-$23.00
    Big Channel-Gary Hanson-18.09 pounds-$33.00

Flathead-Don Mammone-46.11 pounds-$105.00
    Drawing results:
    50/50 John Parish
    $500.00+ Rod/Reel/ Tackle Bag Package-John Parrish
    Hats-David Woodriz & Tom Edwards
    T-Shirts-Ernie Johnson & Jason Talbot
    $5.00 Gift Certificate-Wayne Burnsworth
    $10.00 Gift Certificate-Eric Wohlgamuth

These 8 Flatheads went from the low 30's to 46.11. It was close, with second place weighing in at 45.13.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3054&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

2. rockbass

rockbass Banned

those flattie are the reason why I did not weigh my little 20 pounder in this morning! No chance to win for the little guy like me. I need to find these pros' spot and beat them to it! :D :p

3. Corey

Somr snowy day you'll have to stop by and we'll mark some spots. Winter is best, after drawdown, for prospecting.

4. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Thanks for the offer Jim! I am wanting to get some maps of the lakes and do some scouting. I really want to learn piedmont for cats, and of course learn some saugeye secrets!

I do have a question for ya Jim, I was concerned that holding the fish like they were in the photos. Well Russ and the other guy, were holding them by there gill openings. wouldn't that be dangerous for the fish?? I have not caught any big ones like those, only 37, 30, and a few 20's. I always just hold them by the mouth. I would think that holding them would like they did would be bad since that would be over 40 lbs of pressure. Maybe I am just goofy??? I know when they were weighing them with their own scale to see which one they wanted to weigh in, the ripped the gill opening. Like I said before, I am not the pro, I was just wondering. I have heard people talking about how to hold muskie and other species. Thanks man!

I was checking out the Vibe's.......I want to try for some saugeye, so if I get the chance, I may have to have ya point me to a good general color! Hope to be out sometime soon!

5. Corey

Flatheads are extremely tough, but.........I have no doubt that it would be better to hold each one horizontally while taking pics, supporting their internal organs as much as possible. The gills themselves are the important part, of course, and damage to the outer gill plate area isn't dangerous but I'd rather see no damage than even cosmetic damage. I take the blame for the way they were handled Sunday morning though. I wanted one group pic and get-em-out-of-here instead of 8 individual pics. Lined up on the ground would have been much better for the fish.

6. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I would not take all the blame Jim. They were holding them like that long before you wanted pics. I just always figured that people would hold them by the mouth. That would seem to be easier to me, but I am inexperienced! :eek: