Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out about an hour before first light this morning. My weak headlamp combined with the river being high made a very familiar spot suddenly unfamiliar. I casted my red eyed shad all around trying to get a feel for the high water. As it started to brighten up, I was able to get a much better feel for the area. I had one nice hit right at dawn. It came and went so quick I had no idea if it was a decent fish or not. I worked the entire area. The water that normally moves at a somewhat brisk clip had changed into a raging whitewater river. There was a very small eddy off the fast water, and I put my crankbait right in the small area I targeted. I held the rod tip up and reeled to keep the slack out; besides that I let the current do the work. I felt some resistance and started reeling. The fish was coming at me so I wasn't sure how big it was. I kept the rod tip up and waited for the impact as the fish swam past me. It was a nice fish, not the 10 pound beast I was hoping for, but nice nonetheless. I brought up a cagey 18.5" hybrid. It wasn't a very big fish top to bottom, but it was thick.

The river was up 2-3' and visibility was about 10", so I was happy with the morning's catch.

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Nice fish GM. Sounds like the LMR got the worst of the last round of rain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts